Controlled by emotions

Started by Widdiful Falling, September 04, 2015, 10:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Widdiful Falling

Hey all,

I noticed that a lot of the time, I do things because of how I feel, and not because of what is going on at the time. Anyone feel the same way? Does anyone have any tips on how to improve?

I've tried meditation. It should help by itself in the long term, but are there any other tools to break this habit?

Hima

i am run by my emotions a lot... when i am down it is so hard to do anything.

reading about mindfullness might be helpful... as in Acceptance and Commitment therapy.

hima

Widdiful Falling

Good point, Southbound.

To clarify, I guess what I'm talking about is impulsiveness. For example, if my emotional state is dark, I want to be able to resist the impulse to entertain suicidal thoughts.

Hima

i am the 2nd born child in my family unit and the last child... interesting... And the one with all the noticable symptoms and issues.

hima

Widdiful Falling

I find that I'm in something of an interesting position. Since my sister is so much older than I am, I was both the second child, and the oldest. I was very much responsible for my siblings, and definitely more of a 10 going on 40 type of child. Because my M perceived me as so mature, failure wasn't an option, and I was punished harshly for things I probably wouldn't have failed at if I'd had a little more experience. My impulsivity manifests itself mostly after I've failed. I think I die a little every time I fail at something. Like, I may as well not be on this planet anymore, because what's coming is going to be unimaginable pain.