CPTSD vs Borderline Personality Disorder

Started by Kizzie, September 28, 2014, 04:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

"Complex PTSD, Affect Dysregulation, and Borderline Personality Disorder" by Ford & Courtois (2014) - newly published academic article which is quite a slog reading but the bottom line in their opinion is that PTSD, CPTSD abd BPD overlap, but are different and need to be better differentiated by clinicians and researchers:    

We review clinical and scientific findings regarding comorbidity, clinical phenomenology and neurobiology of BPD, PTSD, and cPTSD, and the role of traumatic victimization (in general and specific to primary caregivers), dissociation, and affect dysregulation. Findings suggest that BPD may involve heterogeneity related to psychological trauma that includes, but extends beyond, comorbidity with PTSD and potentially involves childhood victimization-related dissociation and affect dysregulation consistent with cPTSD. Although BPD and cPTSD overlap substantially, it is unwarranted to conceptualize cPTSD either as a replacement for BPD, or simply as a sub-type of BPD. We conclude with implications for clinical practice and scientific research based on a better differentiated view of cPTSD, BPD and PTSD.

Added: Helps if I give the link doesn't it?   :doh:   http://www.bpded.com/content/1/1/9

Rain

What I find interesting about your summary on this article is the seemingly narrow focus on BPD in relation to PTSD / CPTSD, Kizzie.

Kizzie

I suspect (  ??? ) that their focus on BPD is because CPTSD is so often misdiagnosed as being borderline and basically they are setting the clinical record straight so to speak.  That's my take anyway - the link is there now if you want to have a gander. 

Rain

Thanks for the link, Kizzie.     :hug: