Bessel van der Kolk Lecture about Childhood Trauma

Started by bheart, October 10, 2014, 11:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voicelessagony2

Wow. This was an intense video for me to watch. I watched it twice!!

I am so relieved and glad to know that this conference took place, and the information is OUT THERE. He hit so many nails on the head about the difficulty I have had with getting the right kind of help, and difficulty I have had making the connection between old trauma and current problems. I mean, I have always KNOWN deep down, that there is definitely a connection, but I have been UNABLE to explain this connection in any sensible way, even to therapists. I just did not have the vocabulary.

Sandals

Thanks for sharing this, bheart, it was informative and helpful.

I found the brain scans very interesting, especially as he showed the part in the Q&A that showed the brain scan and normal experience of self vs. dissociated. I took a screen shot of the video and added a few words, am posting it here for those people who might not get a chance to watch the video.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Annegirl

Interesting bheart that he said incest is v. rare, only 1%.
Too much what you and your sister went through .
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Pollyanna

Excellent video bheart! Thank you. Brought up so much sadness and anger. I heard a lot of hope too.

wingnut

I started reading his book last night, "The Body Keeps The Score." It's a fascinating read as it gets into the brain in detail, how it reacts to trauma, photos of actual MRIs, and so on.

Liliuokalani

OMG! I am about halfway through The Body Keeps the Score and it has been very healing for me. I suggested it on the Out of the Fog support site. Also some days very difficult to listen to because it's all so close to home. I will watch this for sure.