Proud of myself

Started by Deb, August 08, 2017, 01:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

Got a legal aid lawyer to write a warning letter to my parents yesterday.  To warn against repeatedly trying to contact me despite me telling them not too. A win for protecting myself. Scary too. No family is always a frightening thought even if theyre not safe. Still, its a big deal for me to do this

woodsgnome

:applause:   :hug:   :applause:

It is, and might be for a long time--frightening, as you say. But now your heart has spoken, and needs to be honoured. Remember, there's always the family you build away from the FOO--starting with those found on this forum.

Kat

Woot woot!!  Good for you, Deb!  Way to take care of yourself and draw a line.  I hear you when you say it's scary, too.  Yep, but you did it.  I know what you mean when you say no family is always a frightening thought even if they're not safe.  It's tempting at times to go back to what we know--it feels safe because we know how it works.  Does that make sense?  I'm so impressed with your courage.  Strong work.

ricepen22

That's really hard work. Must have taken a lot of strength

Kizzie

It really is a big deal Deb  :applause:

Lingurine

It's better to have no family then one that breaks your heart.
Good for you Deb  :cheer:

Lingurine

Deb

Thanks guys. Yes Kat, that makes sense to me. I often don't stop and celebrate  or give myself credit for my victories/achievements. I want to do that, acknowledge that it was hard, 'against' the family pattern or way of thinking and being.....if that makes sense. Felt today like a betrayal of the family but I am allowed to protect myself, since niether of my parents did. SO THERE!

Candid

It's good to hear you sounding so strong, Deb.

As to "betrayal of the family" ... who betrayed who? Who abused who? What you've done is simply to protect yourself. That's more than a right, it's imperative.

You go, girl!  :cheer: We're all with you.  :heythere: