Info about Treatment

• 5 Replies

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Info about Treatment
« on: October 12, 2014, 01:42:30 AM »
Cloitre, M., Courtois, C., Charuvastra, A., Carapezza, R., Stolbach, B. & Green, B. (2011). Treatment of Complex PTSD: Results of the ISTSS expert clinician survey on best practices. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 24 (6),

Cloitre, M., Courtois, C., Ford, J. Green, B., Alexander, P., Briere, J., Herman, J. Lanius, R., Pearlman, L., Stolbach, B., Spinazzola, J. & van der Hart, O. (2012). ISTSS Expert Consensus Treatment Guidelines for Complex PTSD in Adults. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 24 (6),

Cloitre, M., Courtois, C., Ford, J. Green, B., Alexander, P., Briere, J., Herman, J. Lanius, R., Pearlman, L., Stolbach, B., Spinazzola, J. & van der Hart, O. (2012). ISTSS Expert Consensus Treatment Guidelines for Complex PTSD in Adults. International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies.

Kezelman, C. & Stavropoulos, P. (2012). Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery, Australia: Blue Knot Foundation
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:41:32 PM by Kizzie »

Re: Treatment of Complex PTSD: Results of the ISTSS Expert Clinician Survey
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 07:32:26 AM »
So the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies Complex Trauma Task Force did a survey, asking experts how best to treat CPTSD. They asked 25 CPTSD experts and 25 PTSD experts. Then they looked if there was something those experts agreed on. And there was.

84% of experts say that treatment needs to have several stages. Specific symptom sets must also be addressed, using methods such as emotion regulation strategies, narration of trauma memory, cognitive restructuring, anxiety and stress management, and interpersonal skills. Later on, meditation and mindfulness proved helpful in dealing with emotional, attentional, and behavioral (e.g., aggression) disturbances.

The experts couldn't agree on when clients can reasonably expect what kind of improvement, or on how long treatment is to last. We need more research on what's better for what kind of client with what kind of symptoms: traditional trauma-focused therapies or sequenced multicomponent approaches. To let us find out more about the speed and durability of treatment effects, experts could monitor their clients' symptoms during the course of treatment and during extended follow-up.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:42:10 PM by Kizzie »

Nuttzz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »
Thx for posting that research. For so long I have been searching for answers. I was initially diagnosed with Gad and depression and later with PTSD though I feel that the cptsd fits me better - my counsellor doesn't seem to like to use that terminology and is directing her treatment mostly for gad. I almost felt wrong bringing up the cptsd with her but felt that once we knew what the problem was we could then work towards fixing it. Now it's good to see that a more tailored approach to cptsd is suggested. Thx

Rain

• Hiding your Light is a loss for everyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »
Hi Nutzz, welcome to the forum.   Please do post an Introduction so we can get to know you.   :yes:

And, thanks Kizzie for the research link!

Also thank you, Cat, for the splendid summary (you sooooo have a book in you ...at some point)

Often, I think about the combinations of therapy, and I ponder the list of things a parent does in child development.   Isn't that a wide range of things taught also, all at the same time?

Proper parenting for the dear little child includes:
How to think.   How to manage emotions.   How to manage ones stress.   How to safely release anxiety.   How to feel validated.   How to feel cared for.   How to interact with others.   And, so on.

With CPTSD, we did not get proper parenting, so now in therapy these days, it seems we are learning the advanced version of the list above.   What we missed out on.

Whobuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »

Proper parenting for the dear little child includes:
How to think.   How to manage emotions.   How to manage ones stress.   How to safely release anxiety.   How to feel validated.   How to feel cared for.   How to interact with others.   And, so on.

Love this list!

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Info about Treatment
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 04:57:27 PM »
Finally, primary care physicans are beginning to ask about a history of trauma -  ACEs (Adverse Childhood Experiences): One Family Physician’s Experience by By Dr. Tahmeena Ali, August, 2019. Here's a short excerpt:

Now, I ask all patients: young and old; new to my practice and established for years; male, female or trans, to complete an ACEs questionnaire in my clinic.  I compliment all my patients with any ACE score on their resilience and ask how I can support them. I acknowledge the pain they endured and educate them on how that early trauma can affect their biology and how it might be effecting their health now.

Awesome  :thumbup: