How did you find your GP?

Started by Widdiful Falling, September 15, 2015, 02:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Widdiful Falling

I recently qualified for health insurance through my place of work, something I haven't had since I was 14. I need to go about finding a GP, but I honestly have no idea where to start. My health plan came with a list of doctors, but I can't find profiles online like I could when I was looking for a psychiatrist, and I find it a terrifying prospect to pick someone blindly, entrust them with my body, and hope for the best.

How did you guys select a GP? Is there anything I should look for in particular? Why do there seem to be so many different types of primary care physician? Am I looking for an internalist, a family doctor, or some other type I don't know of? What are warning signs that will tell me if my doctor can't be trusted? How do you guys get over your fear of going? It's terrifying for me to consider being touched and prodded by someone I just met.

I feel so overwhelmed by this. I keep thinking, it should be so simple. But I feel like I'm going in blind, and that's not comfortable no matter how simple the situation.

Dutch Uncle

Probably the situation differs on the whole setup of health-care in the nation you live, but as a rule of thump you just pick the one close(st) to your residence, so they can pay house-visits if necessary.

I once had one near my old home, moved, couldn't be bothered to change (I'm hardly ever sick, and it was a good practice anyway), but at some point I had to pay him a visit and he told me I lived to far away for him to make a house-call.

Still took me three years or so before a new practice was set up visually next to me to make the actual change. I simply never had the urge to change.

Sometimes they are 'full' though. Although I think that problem has been solved here.

If there are many in your neighborhood, I guess you could write them if they accept new 'patients', and could ask them on the services they provide, or in case you have specific needs, if they can accommodate you.

Hoped this helped.
And YAY for health insurance  :thumbup: .

arpy1

all i can advise, W/F, is take your time.  a week or two isn't going to make a whole lot of difference ( as long as you don't come down with raging flu or something!) 
What D/U suggests about writing to several to see what they offer could work well, depending again on where you are. i know here in UK, the GP practice you join is often more to do with your postal address.

but within a GP practice there are usually at least several doctors and so you could try what i did when i moved to my flat;  i went in to the surgery and (quietly!) asked the receptionist who she would recommend as the best doctor to deal with mental health problems. she put me onto my GP and he has been such a blessing.
(he is currently the only professional i have any trust for, and has been consistent and very energetic in looking for solutions to help me out.)  so you never know, you may get as lucky as i was.

best of luck, W/F and i hope you find just the right person.  :bighug: