Power

Started by woodsgnome, September 20, 2015, 12:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsgnome

I've always been leery whenever I run across the word "power".

Many try to use it in a positive vein. Several authors in self-help genres use the p-word freely in their titles, like its a desired item and finding it will guarantee self-fulfillment and a trip to the promised land. Still, the very word makes me shudder whenever I see, hear, or use it. I attended a self-study sort of workshop once called "the power intensive" and while it had lots of good parts, that name distracted me throughout; couldn't think straight whenever it appeared.

I guess I get that it's one of those words that "should" have a good side. Fine. Not for me, though; it ranks as one of the most triggering words in my vocabulary.

Eckhart Tolle is considered a good read by many. Wrote what's probably a dandy book titled "The Power of Now". I could read that and possibly learn from and concur with much of Tolle's approach, but the "power" word sitting there on each page would ruin it.

Of course, my view dates back to the you-know-what time when all I saw of power was bad news. I had so-called caregivers who were drenched in power. A couple of my vocational niches involved power, I guess; as I was a boss/teacher/director, that sort of thing. But I never saw it as power, just a role where someone needed to say it might work out to do it this way, as some actions benefit from directives. If it even resembled power in my mind, I'd shift how I did it or, in one case, I left the position entirely.

I'd be curious about others' takes on this. Makes me cower just to use the word. Hate it. But like lots of phobias, maybe there is another way to see it? I'll listen, even if I have to see that word sitting there. Deep breath...

Dutch Uncle

I shun from the word as well.

I guess that's why anarchism was such a charm for me when I was a teen  ;D .

I did struggle with it when I started my path towards becoming a team-leader, but I pursued it anyway, for I was even more disgusted by those who should be in charge and played 'meek', to the detriment of many projects I worked in as a 'subordinate'. I also find it difficult still to call myself the 'boss', when I clearly am, which I actually enjoy being, and I have never had any complaints about being 'bossy'. (Which is not to say people couldn't look foul at me when they had to do a sucky job, but hey: we all had to do those at some point during a project. Doing the dishes is never fun, but we all want a clean plate for diner after all.)

I should add that since I'm a non-english speaker, there are a few synonyms tied to the translation of "Power" to me.
Power as in "Might"/"Authority"... Brrr. Hate it.
Power as in "Force"/"Agency": That can be positive, or negative. So I'll sit on the fence a bit first, while starting from the assumption it's the positive thing. I back down quick if it turns out I was too optimistic.
Power as in "Hierarchy": I'm all  for it. I can't stand organizations where it's not clear who is responsible for what. Ownership and Accountability come into play here, and then it's a positive thing to know what 'power' lies with whom.

arpy1

power is a word that makes me feel frightened. that's what it summons in me, fear. fear of being shouted at and shouted down and of cowering and feeling ashamed and sick. fear of someone controlling me and of not being able to stand up and shout no! shut  up! i don't agree!.

power in politic/economic terms makes me feel angry. angry at the abuse, the corruption i see that controls and abuses people.

power in relationships reminds me of manipulation and fury.

power in myself  is something i am unfamiliar with, would like to learn. but not so i can just be like the above and use it for revenge or hurt. just enough so i can have agency at last. so that i can protect myself. that kind of power i should like to have.