Why do emotionally traumatic movies make me feel better?

Started by On the edge of hope, September 28, 2015, 12:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

On the edge of hope

I just watched the whole 2014 Rosemary's Baby for the second time. I usually absolutely can't watch gore but tolerated it this time. More than that, Rosemary's emotional trauma - the constant crying and screaming and not knowing where to turn - made me feel really good and "built" me up. This is so insane. What is the dynamic behind this?

woodsgnome

I didn't see the movie (I don't see many), but my wild guess is that you "knew" the emotional level of the character, in a way that someone else might not have. You're probably better able to appreciate the depths of those emotions, the "crying and screaming and not knowing where to turn".

It's the same as many realize on this forum--they're not alone in feelings that are hard to describe to someone who hasn't been on this road. In that sense I don't see your good, built-up feelings as "insane" at all.

tired

I wonder about that. Maybe I'm thinking , well at least that never happened to me.  I watch movies that involve something other than what I went through.

I tend to watch true crime and think a lot about staying safe. I don't involve myself with drug addicts, I don't live with a psychopathic husband, I live in a safe neighborhood and I rarely leave the house at night. So it's a comfort.  "Sure I was molested by family when I was ten and we lived around dangerous people a lot but there is no way that scenario could occur in my world. Not for me and not for my kids because I make vastly different lifestyle choices.  My life is pretty great in comparison to my parents because I'm smarter."

no_more_fear

on the edge of hope,

Don't worry at all about this. As already said, it's just familiar to you and stimulates desensitised emotions.

As awful as the things depicted in shows like this are, it reminds us that we're not alone in this world in our suffering. My favourite books are all the really gritty ones. Before, I could never get behind happy books  :sadno: I didn't know why the * I couldn't. I'm changing now though.  ;D