Binge Eating

Started by Laynelove, September 23, 2015, 12:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laynelove

Does anyone else have problems with binge eating?

I'm starting to worry about my health, I just can't seem to stop.

Anyone got any tips for how to fix terrible eating habits?

Jdog

Hi-

I have struggled with this for years.  Short term solution I chose was Weight Watchers, but long term is all about dealing with underlying causes, which is trickier.  In my case, it's about not wanting to feel my feelings of certain varieties.  I drink hot teas, exercise, etc. but know it will always be something with which I struggle.

You are not alone.

Boatsetsailrose

Hi layne love -
Yes me -- started when I was young and progressively got worse .
I have finally found relief this past 6 mths and have not used food addictively -
Also lost 3 stone in the process

I got my recovery through food addicts in recovery anonymous
See website for support / meetings

Diets never worked - nothing ever worked only temporarily

There is hope - to be free of it - :) 🌸

Jdog

I have been doing stress-eating lately due to the delay in closing of the sale of our home.  I am glad to have realized the cause (emotional flashback to when I was 5 and issues of abandonment and being mislead during a family move) and also realized that my fitness app on my phone was actually encouraging me to eat mindlessly - like if I only record the food I don't need to really think about it.  In general, I believe in recording my eating as a way to be accountable.  But being totally OCD about it has made me gain 5 pounds recently.  Although I am not overweight by anyone's standards, it matters to me because I am a runner and keeping pounds off equals being kind to my knees.  So, I will simply try to be more aware of my eating and slow down.

I run a half marathon Sunday and after that will reconsider how I can best maintain my weight as I continue training for a marathon on December.  Meanwhile, I have deleted the fitness app I have been using.  Maybe I will try another one.  The Weight Watchers phone app annoys me as it constantly has to be given codes in order to work.  I think breathing and being aware will work for now.

Boatsetsailrose

Pete walker talks about food issues in his book - page 47 although I can't say I wholly agree with him ( in my experience -
But some of what he says I found v relevant

tired

This is a huge problem for me.  I have managed to create rules for myself so I only eat regular food two days a week, because once I start I can't stop. The other days I have a list of allowed foods that somehow don't trigger a binge.  As long as I make rules for binging that keep the calories at a certain level I don't gain weight.  But the basic idea of binging is out of control.  It's huge problem and I don't know how to stop. I feel like I need to replace it with another compulsive activity because I feel like it's a desperate comfort strategy but I don't know. 

Boatsetsailrose

Hi
Now I am not using the food as a drug and bingeing ( it got really bad where I felt so helpless ) I can see in the light of day why I used the food . But the paradox is that the food had to be fully in its place for me to see clearly ..
My sponsor says it walking through it that gets me to the other side and I can see this as truth-

I have just been in 4 day flashback ( not sure if it's over ? It feels like it is at this minute in time
The triggers being outer critic activating inner critic - the over lying message being 'I am a bad and worthless person ' . This is why I used to binge -
I am starting to see it is not true - but feels yes 'in the storm ' when I am in it - awful

The food stopped working for me in the end -

Flour and sugar are my drugs and I take it as seriously as narcotics and alcohol - if I have one somewhere along the line it will spiral -

Going through this 4 days and not using food feels good and I remain in a healthy body and a healthy life - my head may not be caught up yet but I am progressing ,,,

There is hope :) but I can't do it alone -
See oa or fa for meetings in your area

arpy1

wow! well done, boatsetsailrose, for getting through four really tough days without doing the food thing. that is actually really impressive. respect!  :hug: :hug:

Hermione

I have been struggling with binge eating as well, and only realized it may be connected to my past and C-PTSD a few weeks ago. I began doing yoga 5 weeks ago and have seen a major change in my eating patterns. I am more in tune with my body, have a stronger desire to be healthy, and desire junk food much less.

I strongly recommend finding a tool to connect your mind and body in a positive way. I have found it easier to combat the underlying issues of my traumatic hxstory while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. 5 weeks is simultaneously a short time and a very long time. Be proud of every day you make progress.  :hug:

tired

i do better when i exercise.  it makes life more positive generally.. then it becomes habit to eat better, as if my rules have changed. i seem to get set on certain eating rules or routines and if i can change them and make it a habit it works. 

I got this

HI.  The only thing that really worked for me is realising cptsd is cause and binge is symptom.  It's a way to distract from uncomfortable and unconscious feelings.
Psychotherapy with someone who knows cptsd,  or cbt techniques  could be helpful.

Things that have helped along the way include :
Book: Overcoming Binge Eating by Dr. Christopher Fairburn  (self help CBT)

Mind Body: learn diaphragmatic breathing as it relaxes the whole system

Alternative : valerian and lavender help.to chill out the nervous system and avoid binges (which usually happen under tension,  right? )   also helps sleep

Friends : hanging out,  chatting,  having fun!

Pharmaceuticals have side-effects but whatever it takes : SSRI including fluoxetine.   Interesting one called topirimate can be used for mood stabilisation which in turn relaxes and may reduce binges.   Melatonin to reset sleep cycles is a natural / pharma winner.   

Alternative to pharma : 5htp and St Johns wort but ask your doctor as interact with some meds

Hypnotherapy can help in the short / mid term alongside psychotherapy but on its own probably won't remove the root cause in the psyche  (only paints over nasty wallpaper if you get my drift!).

Hope that helps ☺