Started by Kizzie, September 24, 2015, 01:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Books
Articles
Web Sites

Jdog

Kizzie-

Very informative article.  Dissociation is pretty fascinating, and the information provided much food for thought.

Dutch Uncle

Great!

Written by two Dutch Uncles (and an American Auntie  ;D ) , so it might even give me a nice bee-line for finding a good T.

Thanks.  :thumbup:

Kizzie

Yes, we're thankful to the Netherlands for sure Dutch. Glad you find the resources useful JDog, I'm going to add to it as I come across more. 

If anyone comes across a good resource please let me know and I'll add it in.  ;D

Dutch Uncle

Kizzie

Added it above Dutch, tks!  Love her site by the way  :thumbup:

AnnaE

I'm a newcomer here, please remove if it's inappropriate for me to post a link here.
This is a long involved scholarly article (seems some Dutch involved here, too) that totally opened my eyes and explained to me some of what's been going on with me. Extension of dissociation and explanation of biochemistry/physiology behind dissociation.  http://www.trauma-pages.com/a/nijenhuis-2004.php

Kizzie

All resources welcome Anna, thank you  :thumbup:   I'll add it above.

Vexed

I've been reading through the link above, off and on all day while I do my canning. It's all rather sobering. Thanks for keeping it up and updated.

Satori60

I have been reading more about types/ways to disassociate and I feel I'm at a crux?

Can anyone assist me with understanding a phenomena that I am finding more as I deepen my understanding of C-PTSD. I have recently, in the last year, had significant blocks emerge via what I can only describe as 'black outs'. I had 2 happen yesterday while in meditation. I am not sure how long they last yet I have absolutely no recognition of time passed? I am sure they don't last very long yet I totally disappear. They seem to happen when I get to a very relaxed state. The last 2 mornings I have done 'head bobs' where I actually start to fall over, and catch myself. This is when I come back to. Some would assume I am falling asleep? I(t) feels very unconscious blocking something from being seen?. I feel discombobulated when I come back, like starting to drive the car off the road when one falls asleep at the wheel. There is an energetic jerk via my body that brings me back to reality!

Can anyone help guide me to understanding what this is? Are there any good articles on this phenomena and its meaning?

I am really appreciative of everyone's level of sharing here on OOTS. Thank you

Three Roses

That almost sounds like narcolepsy - https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/narcolepsy-and-sleep Other than that I don't know what it could be.

I would consult my therapist or physician.

Satori60

Thanks Three Roses!
I'll do some more sleuthing. Narcolepsy is something I had not considered and am interested in learning a bit more :)

kindly,
Satori60

Fen Starshimmer

Kizzie,

Just want to say a big thanks for collating this wonderful resource on dissociation. It brings tears to my eyes to see so many insights, so much research and understanding into a topic that has eluded so many doctors and mental health practitioners, and caused immense pain and suffering for many (including me). Many of us have had to diagnose ourselves on CPTSD symptoms because the medical establishment has been incapable. This is not an ideal situation, One wants confirmation and validation, and effective help for recovery. Getting misdiagnosed is unhelpful at best and harmful at worst. Keep up the great work. OOTS is educating the world, and the world badly needs to hear it!  :applause:

Kizzie

Tks Fen, very kind of you to post and I'm glad to hear the site is helping.  I could not agree more that education and awareness are needed unfortunately, but as more and more people find their way here and other sites/resources like this and start pushing their physicians and other professionals for treatment and services, hopefully that will change.

:hug:

Fen Starshimmer

Yes, agree. Now that we have great research at our fingertips, progress can be made by working individually and collectively. It's becoming a mission of mine!  :)