Information about Religious/Cult Abuse

• 11 Replies

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Information about Religious/Cult Abuse
« on: September 24, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »
Please check back from time to time as resources will be added on an ongoing basis.

Documentaries
  • Scientology and the Aftermath - http://www.aetv.com/shows/leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath.  This is a docu-series series by Leah Remini (star of the King of Queens tv show), a former member of this religion who left in 2013.  Together with a senior ex-officer of the church Mike Rinder,  they investigate the questionable practices of Scientology, including emotional and physical abuse of members.  (Updated Sept 13, 2017)
Books
Articles
Web Sites/Blogs
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:03:44 PM by Kizzie »

amanita

• View Profile
Re: Information about Religious/Cult Abuse
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 05:53:01 AM »
Three more excellent books on this topic:

Booth, Leo. (1991) When God becomes a drug: breaking the chains of religious addiction & abuse. J.P. Tarcher. https://books.google.com/books/about/When_God_Becomes_a_Drug.html?id=c-4RAQAAIAAJ

Cannon, Carol (1993) Never good enough: how to break the cycle of codependence and addiction for the next generation. Pacific Press Publishing Association. -- Focuses on the special relationship between some forms of Christianity and codependence/addiction/abuse -- http://www.amazon.com/Never-Good-Enough-Carol-Cannon/dp/0816311455

Narisetti, Innaiah. (2009) Forced Into Faith: How Religion Abuses Children's Rights. Prometheus Books https://books.google.com/books?id=UBmPkIimU_IC

Those are books I've read myself and can vouch for.

Here is a link to a WorldCat.org search for the Library of Congress Subject Heading "Child abuse--Religious aspects." http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su%3AChild+abuse+Religious+aspects.

And for "Religious addiction" http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su%3AReligious+addiction.

You may be able to borrow any of those materials from your local library---enter your zip code to find out. If a local library is not listed, they may still be able to get the material for you via Inter-Library Borrowing. Ask at your local library.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:04:02 PM by Kizzie »

basically0kkim

• Feeling my way through the dark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 11:45:36 AM »
Very interesting subject and timely. I have used and suggested to clients, family and friends the books by Don Miguel Ruiz and his son. The Four Agreements, The Fifth Agreement and The Mastery of Love have all been important in my journey through trauma directly connected to religion, religiosity and specifically men of the cloth. Just thought to share my experience and to validate those who have had similar ones. Thanks for the post!  :applause:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:04:23 PM by Kizzie »

Dutch Uncle

• Slowly freeing myself of a burden.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:00:16 AM »
I have posted these two YouTube video's in other threads as well (separately), but I am of the opinion this is a good place for them too.

***possible triggers on life-threatening diseases, predators, war-related trauma and spiritual/religious abuse***
***includes mild swearing, nothing angry though***

The Narcissist New Ager: It's Just Another Mask, touches on a lot of abuse that was inflicted on me by my New-Age-TherapistMom. Like my 'mom', the Vlogster was told by her 'mom' we had chosen our parents (as we reincarnated), and thus are responsible for all the abuse we had to endure. We must have wanted it, or we would have chosen somebody else to parent us.
Narcissist Abuse Survivors Aren't Sick. We're Injured. is a follow up video where she makes clear we are not sick, we didn't cause the abuse, we didn't attract it, yet we are injured by it.
Big difference.

I think there is a great deal of healing/curing material embedded in these video's for victims of Spiritual and/or Religious Abuse.
 :hug:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:04:52 PM by Kizzie »

Dutch Uncle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:08:44 AM »
Who would have thought... Even in the DSM-IV a (provisional) code/category "Religious or spiritual problem " has been introduced. (V62.89)

Goolge search results on "DSM-IV Religious or spiritual problem"

The DSM-IV doesn't say anything (yet) on the subject(1) (and I haven't checked the DSM-V), but there are a few valuable research papers on the how and why (or why not) it should/could be part of the DSM.

(1) In fact it is classified under "Other Conditions That May Be a Focus of Clinical Attention" (page 685) and all it says is:
V62.89 Religious or Spiritual Problem
This category can be used when the focus of clinical attention is a religious or spiritual problem. Examples include distressing experiences that involve loss or questioning of faith, problems associated with conversion to a new faith, or questioning of spiritual values that may not necessarily be related to an organized church or religious institution.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:08:12 PM by Kizzie »

Dutch Uncle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 03:06:12 AM »
Today I stumbled on a site with the subtitle Freedom from Narcissistic and Religious Abuse

I visited the site for some articles not specifically tied to Religious abuse, and found them helpful.
The link above redirects to the part of the site that does specifically deals with Religious Narcia in Christianity.
I haven't checked the articles out (since insofar Religious Abuse has played a role in me developing cPTSD, it's been minor as compared to the other abuse I was forced to suffer), but possibly they are helpful for whom Religious Abuse has played a big role.
Not all narcissists stare into the mirror all day, some stare into the Bible looking for proof texts to correct other people.

I thought I'd share.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:07:42 PM by Kizzie »

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 05:44:35 PM »
Great video about the science behind getting caught up in a cult - Falling Madly in Love ... with a Cult 

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:07:21 PM by Kizzie »

Lricord

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 04:57:42 PM »
Religion can be a very useful tool for a narcissist to instill tremendous fear in their victim. Many preachers are narcissists who teach how to hate instead of teaching about a God of love. It becomes a mind control game and brain washing to keep their flocks under their control. It's also a major money maker and what narcissist is not in love with mone? It has become an ideal set up to give the narcissist and endless supply to feed from. A narcissist has no soul but will try to rob you of yours. If they can't get what they want they attempt to destroy it. They can't take your soul but will shatter it instead.

A narcissistic preacher will seek out narcs in his audience and use them as his flying monkeys to abuse in the name of God. It's the atmosphere I grew up in. The abuse I grew up with was the typical narcissistic abuse but using God's name as a reason seemed to reinforce fear in me as a child trying to find my own identity. My narc sister used to constantly refer to me as "the heathen". Heathen is a noun and nouns become a label a narcissist uses as they create their child's identity to suit their endless needs. Humans look for something to believe in. we need faith, hope and love to live. God was taken from me because I questioned if their was a God and who he really was. I was told I was evil for even questioning and was instilled with a dark fear I was surely going to *.

It's taken years to rid myself of their belief. No person, especially a parent has the right to force a belief system in their child. Their place is to guide them, teach them with love and not fear and allow them to find their own identity. Dissociation became the way I dealt with being in church. I look at my mother and sister now and see no sign of that God they still hide behind. My mother's eyes are the windows that reveal the hatred that lies within her. I'm glad I no longer have to look at them as I could feel that hatred trying to consume me. i never want to feel that hatred within me. They even use God as a reason to steal. Between them they have stolen all my money, now even my home. They seem to think God gave them the right to take it as it was some sin for me to ever own or have anything of my own. I look to my source of God for love and healing, to find joy and happiness. That is how I keep hope alive and hope keeps me moving ahead. My family's view of God just kept me stuck under their control.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:06:59 PM by Kizzie »

woodsgnome

• I did not wish to live what was not life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 05:15:16 AM »
For Lricord: 

:yeahthat:   :applause:   :hug:

I too never thought I could make it past the pure hypocrisy I was constantly exposed to (FOO, church schools). I echo everything that you say; those sorts are beyond the redemption they yap on about; in fact most of their 'holy' talk is riddled with hate, bigotry, and intolerance, but...so many fall in step, it's truly scary. Good for you on seeing through the gloating phoniness. As you point out, there are other ways, but...sadly it's hidden back of all the shouting.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:06:36 PM by Kizzie »

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
I've watched a couple of series about cults/religious groups recently and I have to agree that many of the leaders appear to have Narcissistic Personalty Disorder and are particularly astute at using charm and punishment to draw in and keep followers isolated from reality.

Glad your eyes are wide open Lricord and you will not fall prey to your FOO or other questionable religious groups.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:06:18 PM by Kizzie »

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 05:32:40 PM »
Child sex abuse inquiry widens scope to other religions outside Christianity for first time - At last!  Hopefully this kind of initiative will spread to other countries, it's long overdue.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:05:59 PM by Kizzie »

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »
An article I came across today - Help! My Pastor is a Narcissist: Eight strategies for dealing with narcissistic pastors by Scot McKnight, Aug 2020.

E.g., Eighth, work for accountability at all levels. Narcissistic pastors, of churches large and small, seemingly gravitate toward nondenominational churches or nonaccountable church structures where they answer to no one. They prefer it that way.

Also, this book - When Narcissism Comes to Church: Healing Your Community From Emotional and Spiritual Abuse, by Chuck DeGroat, March 2020

Description: Why does narcissism seem to thrive in our churches? We've seen the news stories and heard the rumors. Maybe we ourselves have been hurt by a narcissistic church leader. It's easy to throw the term around and diagnose others from afar. But what is narcissism, really? And how does it infiltrate the church? Chuck DeGroat has been counseling pastors with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, as well as those wounded by narcissistic leaders and systems, for over twenty years. He knows firsthand the devastation narcissism leaves in its wake and how insidious and painful it is. In When Narcissism Comes to Church, DeGroat takes a close look at narcissism, not only in ministry leaders but also in church systems. He offers compassion and hope for those affected by its destructive power and imparts wise counsel for churches looking to heal from its systemic effects.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 05:40:31 PM by Kizzie »