POLL #3 - Re: The Word "Post" in "CPTSD"

Started by Kizzie, November 20, 2017, 08:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

There is quite a bit of initial discussion about changing any/all of the words in CPTSD here - http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=6758.0 that you may want to have a read through it before voting.

Blueberry

How long (roughly) are polls 2 - 6 running?

Kizzie

HI BB - At least a week or two to give everyone a change to read, mull and vote if they want.  I'll make a announcement a few days be before I close them.

Blueberry

OK thanks. That relieves me from pressure too, self-inflicted pressure of course  ;)

Blueberry

I think that if we were using Cumulative as part of the diagnosis Post would be unnecessary. So once you have more than one traumatising event or if you endure chronic traumatisations like long-term neglect, "post" sounds a bit weird.

AphoticAtramentous

I would like to see the "Post" removed. For a lot of people, we still live and deal with our abusers - we're always under stress. PTSD can't really be diagnosed during the traumatic event, but CPTSD can - since it comes from multiple traumas and the cause is from a longer period of time than just a one-time event. So 'post' doesn't really make sense in that regards. Just my two cents. :)

ah

I agree with every word AphoticAtramentous said, I find "post" to be misleading, it always makes me think it portrays a deep misunderstanding of what c-ptsd is. there's no post. As a result, people say our favorite "Get over it".

Though there's some merit to it, too: it helps explain that something happened to you to cause c-ptsd.

I guess if I could I'd take it out and replace it with injury, to explain something happened to you but without the added, mistaken judgement of being post and supposedly past it.

Blueberry

Just want to add that 'post' in PTSD might stem from the fact that docs wait approx. 6 months after what could be a trauma-causing incident before they diagnose PTSD, from what I understand anyway. I think there are even percentages of how many people roughly get PTSD from type of incidents. Rape is very high, 99% or something; natural disasters are a lot lower. So 'post' means after those 6 months are up, you're still having flashbacks etc, you're traumatised. Not everybody involved in an earthquake gets PTSD, not all police force members get PTSD. (That's the theory anyway.)

That doesn't make much sense for what we've got. We're all way beyond the one incident.

Blueberry

Maybe also interesting, maybe not  ;)   In my daily working language, there is a word-for-word translation of CPTSD but people also say one nice long word that would be: "disorder subsequent to trauma" in English. 

Erebor

Quote from: Blueberry on November 27, 2017, 08:22:44 PM
Maybe also interesting, maybe not  ;)   In my daily working language, there is a word-for-word translation of CPTSD but people also say one nice long word that would be: "disorder subsequent to trauma" in English. 
That is interesting Blueberry, I'm always curious about languages. I have many I want to learn, some I am learning but dissociation/EFs/high stress put them on the back-burner. Maybe over Christmas I can get the books out again.  :) It sounds hopeful that that language has a word that neatly packages up the concept, like some people who speak it have perhaps come to an understanding of it that is lacking in other cultures, if that makes sense? I mean, I doubt having one word means that there is a higher level of understanding about it, but it's a nice idea. I like how concise it is, too.

pit_bull

I don't really care about the diagnosis, although I do think about it a lot when I'm trying to understand my symptoms.