Information about Recovery

Started by Kizzie, September 25, 2015, 08:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

I found when I had cancer back in 2007 I could never get warm and I think you're right, it has a lot to do with what happens physiologically when we experience fear, anxiety and illness.  I would have to take a long hot shower to feel warm again, my toes and fingers especially. 

I have to say that I am a window wide open in the bedroom person except in the depths of winter because I LOVE snuggling under a warm blanket and taking the chill off. It' so comforting  :zzz:  maybe because CPTSD means we're often adrenalized and physically uncomfortable. 

Armadillo

Interesting read for me too....I developed an anaphylactic reaction to cold weather when I was 15 and going through the worst of things with fear over my mom's suicide threats. I was spending the night at a friend's house and would have been so scared about being away from my mom and not able to protect her. I remember going inside from playing in the front of my friends house on a chilly evening covered in hives. Ever since then I break out in hives in temperatures colder than 67F/19C. Worse exposures lead to throat swelling, dizziness, and passing out. And just generally I always have a warm drink on me, wear down jackets in the summer etc.

Kizzie

Oh no Armadillo, I'm so sorry to hear that!  I actually just saw a fellow rescued in an episode Bondi Rescue (guilty pleasure of mine) who had the exact response you're talking about to cold water. I guess he was OK near the shore where the water was shallow and warm but he got caught in a rip and was pulled out to deeper, colder water and had a reaction so they rescued him and sent him off to hospital in an ambulance. 

I never knew that was something people suffered from - that must be hard to deal with  :hug: :hug: :hug: