Information about Recovery

Started by Kizzie, September 25, 2015, 08:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Dutch Uncle

That site* (Sundown Healing Arts) is a gem, isn't it.

I think it took me half a year, or maybe even a whole year until I had read all articles.
At first many didn't appeal to me at all. But the more I delved into 'coming out of the FOG/Storm' the more articles seemed to be relevant to the 'new state' I had come into, when I had taken yet another step, the FOG had lifted another bit so to say. And so on.

I'm glad to see that quite a few articles from her have found their way to the various 'stickies' with recourses.
I wish many people will find them helpful along their journey of recovery.
I still return to them regularly.

:thumbup:

*) edit: clarification of the site I referred to, since now more resources have been added by Kizzie  :thumbup:

MaryAnn

Thank you Kizzie!  :thumbup:

This is a great article and I look forward to reading many more.   I just had a session with my therapist this week.  He told me that over the 2 years that he has known me that he has ever only seen me truly relaxed one time.  Unfortunately, that one time was not a result of a positive event.  I was relaxed because I had come to terms with a plan that we will not talk about and felt at peace with myself.... It might have been the only or one of very few times that I actually have been relaxed, not tensed up and hypervigilant.  I remember what it felt like this time around but can't seem to figure out how to do it naturally as a result of positive thoughts and feelings of self-worth and having any value.  I will read this article many times and ingrain this in my head to use a tool going forward to help me with rest and relaxation, actually taking a break every once in while! :yes:

Lol,  MaryAnn   :hug:

Kizzie

Thanks Dutch for leading me (us) to the site (Sundown Healing Arts - http://www.traumahealed.com/index.html), what I've read so far is fabulous :yes:  She captures nuance and compassion for one's self like no-one else can.  If she were closer I would see her in a heartbeat.

The article really is a good reminder and so validating isn't it MaryAnn? I find the articles I have read so far are all that way.  The kindness and compassion she reminds us to have for ourselves is definitely a message most of us can benefit from.  We should print copies of it in a giant font and post it around the house! 

:hug:   

fairyslipper

So good!!! Thank you so much for sharing that.  :hug:

sweetsixty

Thank you Kizzie, just what I needed x

Kizzie

Hi Sweet Sixty - haven't 'seen' you in a while - welcome back!   :hug:

sweetsixty

Thanks Kizzie, I've been around but I'm a terrible lurker I'm afraid! Been working hard on recovery with intense periods of psychotherapy in the last 18 months. Now I've retired I decided to dedicate my time to it in a last ditch attempt to heal. Took a while to realise it can't be fast tracked and is a life long commitment lol.

I'm getting there though :-)

Kizzie

Glad to hear you're making progress SS!    :hug:

Kizzie

Saw this on Twitter today:

"When it feels disheartening to learn that trauma changes the brain, remember that healing changes the brain too."   

:thumbup:    ;D   

Snowdrop

Quote from: Kizzie on January 20, 2020, 07:15:51 PM"When it feels disheartening to learn that trauma changes the brain, remember that healing changes the brain too."

I love that, Kizzie.

Kizzie

Kizzie

Tks to CreativeCat ( :hug:) for a link to this great article about how to manage regret over the choices we made in our lives. In a nutshell it's about being realistic and having compassion versus heaping more blame and shame on ourselves - https://adaa.org/learn-from-us/from-the-experts/blog-posts/consumer/how-handle-regret

Kizzie

I came across this article this morning and thought it might fit here - The Surprising Benefits Of Warmth For Trauma Survivors.

CactusFlower

Thanks, Kizzie, that was a very interesting read! (I also love seeing how a national health care system works with people. Off work for 5 weeks? My American mind is blown.)

I wrote in my journal a few months ago about how I hate being chilled or cold. A theory I had, that I think this kind of supports, is that we become used to the actual adrenaline flush in our bodies in that fight or flight mode.  Scared or angry, adrenaline can actually make you feel chilled. Perhaps we seek warmth because it signifies not not being in that mode.  Just a thought. I know I can complain about a heatwave and our 90-degree days in the summer, but I'll take them in a heartbeat over being the slightest bit chilly.