Information about the Inner & Outer Critic

• 17 Replies

Elphanigh

• View Profile
Re: Information about the Inner & Outer Critic
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 10:22:34 PM »
Finally finding this post, as I am starting to want to comabt my overactive inner critic. I read Pete Walkers description, and as I got to the list at the end I realized I can make a check mark for basically every single behavior. No wonder, this is such a strong struggle right now.

Thank you for these resources Kizzie!

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »
 :thumbup:  and   :hug:

Gwyon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »
Re the inner critic and self-compassion...

This has been an epic struggle for me as well. I'm getting some traction with the idea of holding myself with the same unconditional love that I hold my own son. I visualize that child-self at 6mo's old or so and think: "This child was born whole and sound and deserving of love. I will treat him with the same love, care, and protectiveness of a father to his own son".  When I can truly give myself over and believe this idea, it is incredibly powerful and healing.  But it is not easy, as we all know so well how hard it is for us to feel deserving of such love.  I have been committing myself intensely to this idea of self-compassion ("Radical Acceptance", as Tara Brach says it) for well over a year now (yet another layer of healing following decades of work).  And it is only now that I have moments of truly feeling it. I sense that this is the true path, and that I have a long journey ahead as well.

Kindly,
andrew