Happy Rivers Day!

Started by I like vanilla, September 27, 2015, 01:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I like vanilla

Today is World Rivers Day.

Started in 1980 by Mark Angelo in BC, Canada, World Rivers Day is now celebrated by millions of people all over the world. World Rivers Day was declared officially by the UN in 2005 and falls annually on the last Sunday of September. I am just realizing that that would make this year the 10th anniversary of World Rivers Day. :D

For me (for many of us in the environmental community) this day is not just about celebrating rivers and waterways (which it definitely is), it is also a day to celebrate the efforts of everyone who contributes to the health of our rivers and waterways.   :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Yay! Happy Rivers Day!  :waveline:

I hope all of you have a wonderful day, and maybe even a chance to visit a river near you.
(if you are more of a homebody then I wish that you are able to find pictures of beautiful rivers on the internet).

I need to sign off now. I am volunteering with my regular group at our local Rivers Day celebration.

Yay! Happy Rivers Day!  :fireworks:

Dutch Uncle

Thanks!

Happy Rivers Day indeed (didn't know there was one  ;D )
There's a big river in the city I live in, and I'm fortunate to live very close to it. I walk along the shores almost daily, and on the days I don't, I walk down by the harbor. Which is in a sense also 'the river', but not quite. I love that too though.  :thumbup:

:waveline:

woodsgnome

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wow, what a great idea--I live 1 mile from one of the greatest wild rivers left. My canoe waits and the weather is ideal.  :cheer: :yeahthat:

arpy1

lovely idea!  and beautiful image, D/U.

wish it were more highly publicised, cos i'd never heard of it either.