Problem solving for leisure.

Started by Dutch Uncle, October 03, 2015, 08:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Uncle

(multiple answers/options possible)

I've always been interested in problem solving games. Chess, crosswords, cryptograms, sudoku, strategy games (Risk, computer games like 'Civilization' (the so-called 'god-games')). I like detectives, both written and TV... Card-games (Trick-taking games such as 'whist', 'bridge' etc.)

It has often puzzled me why I like puzzles so much... And I do wonder if this is because my 'world' never made much sense.

Anybody else why likes to squander time doing solving puzzles? Either solitary or in a social setting?

edited to add:
I checked all boxes.
Though I have given up on must of them by now. I guess my 'problem' solving has now become focussed on cPTSD.  ;D
Sudoku and strategy games are the only two I still do at times.
And I love to watch detectives, the 'who-done-it's'. I hate the ones where the killer is still on a rampage, and the corpses keep piling up. *shudders*

Like arpy1 said below: as a form of escapism.  :thumbup:

arpy1

sudoku addiction, even tho i can't do the hard ones. i have to do a few before i can sleep at nite.  and detective novels, films, tv series but only really becos they generally don't have too much tension and suspense in them. 

all these things for me are escapism - soaking up my brain just enough to stop the constant pain of too many thoughts, too much anxiety and fear.  pure escapism. and less harmful, hopefully than other forms of numbing out, so that's a bonus!

also there is something pure and clean about solving a puzzle for me.  it is like listening to a perfectly crafted piece of music or reading a beautifully constructed poem, or like pulling up a fine pot on the wheel.  it is like pieces slotting together neatly in my brain. very satisfactory. very ordered and clean.

AgandFe

I find problem solving really relaxing, actually. It's one of the things I love about my job, is that I get to do intense problem solving all day, and it keeps my mind functioning.

If I can't sleep at night, I design things in my head. Something about that helps me fall asleep.

Dutch Uncle

(Yeah, it's a fake picture  ;D )

It remind me of a quote by him:
"I have no special talents.
I'm just passionately curious"