Finally recognised an ef

Started by Laynelove, October 20, 2015, 01:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laynelove

Sooo I finally recognised myself having an emotional flashback for the first time. It was an older man standing over me with a disapproving look that triggered it. I felt ashamed like I had done something wrong and was about to get into trouble. This comes from narcissistic abuse as a child.

I'm doing schema therapy and recognised the coping modes I was using and wrote them down (eg. Vulnerable child - shame feeling, angry child - got mad about the situation and ruminated a little, then impulsive child - I are a shitload of sugary food) then went through pete walkers ef management steps.

I had a nap after that.

The trigger was at 2pm, and I felt back to myself by 9pm after I woke up from my nap and distracted myself by playing some guitar.

I'm so new to this. I feel back to normal so I think I'm either always in a flashback...or I handled this one really well.

Any thoughts?

Dutch Uncle

:woohoo:          :cheer: :fireworks: :yourock: :fireworks:  :cheer:          :woohoo:

Happy EF Recognition Day, dear Laynelove!

Awesome.  :thumbup: I recently had my first as well, so I can relate.
"A small step for now, a Giant Leap for recovery", is what I think.  :hug:

arpy1

that's so great, Laynelove!  i am proud of you  :yes: :applause: :applause: :applause:

it's amazing when you realise that something worked, just like it says in the book.  well done.

much love :hug: :hug:

I like vanilla

Laynelove, that is fantastic! :applause:

What a huge step!

It sounds like you are developing some constructive coping strategies. It also sounds like you practised good self-care.

All of these, recognition, follow-up, and self care, can be tricky on their own. You did all three! Awesome!  :waveline:

Congratulations!  :woohoo:

Thank you for sharing this inspirational event in your life.  :hug:

Convalescent

Wow, that was excellent! Really, truly well done. Really happy for you :)

I see this post is old, I just really felt like congratulating you, managing EF's are not an easy task! :hug: