Glitches in/on the forum (software)

Started by Dutch Uncle, October 26, 2015, 10:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Uncle

I have noticed of late that some (sub)forums don't 'clear' the "new post"-graphics when I have accessed a new post via the "show unread posts" screen.
If I subsequently access them via opening the (sub)forum and then read the post, the 'new' sign does get cleared.
Also the posts that are involved do not show up in the "latest post" announcement at the bottom of the main forum page (under "Forum stats"). Oddly enough, when clicking the "View most recent posts on the forum" these 'ghost-posts' are visible there.

I think the (sub)fora "Therapy" and "Trauma Responses & Treatment" in the "Treatment for CPTSD" are affected by this. But possibly more.

It's no big deal, but I thought I might mention it. Perhaps there's just a 'switch' somewhere that needs a different setting.
Perhaps a 'techie' needs to do a deep search on how to fix it, in which case I apologize for having it brought up.  ;D

Kizzie

Dutch Uncle

I can't edit my posts anymore. The "modify" button in the top right corner is gone (along with the "remove" button, it seems).

edit: (!) Well it seems I can edit (and remove, apparently) this one, but not any previous posts. Weird.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dutch Uncle

Now I can't edit it anymore. There's probably a "time-fuse" in play here.
Just saying. I'm not applying more pressure by making this post, in case it comes across as such.

Kizzie

Apologies Dutch, I haven't forgotten about you work has just ramped way up for me and some things inevitably end up on the back burner.

You should be able to modify and remove again now.  We've been testing some changes to the forum we're thinking of making so that's why those features did not show up for a bit.  I've switched them back.

Dutch Uncle

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: Dutch Uncle on October 26, 2015, 10:44:04 AM
I have noticed of late that some (sub)forums don't 'clear' the "new post"-graphics when I have accessed a new post via the "show unread posts" screen.
If I subsequently access them via opening the (sub)forum and then read the post, the 'new' sign does get cleared.
Also the posts that are involved do not show up in the "latest post" announcement at the bottom of the main forum page (under "Forum stats"). Oddly enough, when clicking the "View most recent posts on the forum" these 'ghost-posts' are visible there.

I think the (sub)fora "Therapy" and "Trauma Responses & Treatment" in the "Treatment for CPTSD" are affected by this. But possibly more.

It's no big deal, but I thought I might mention it. Perhaps there's just a 'switch' somewhere that needs a different setting.
Perhaps a 'techie' needs to do a deep search on how to fix it, in which case I apologize for having it brought up.  ;D

This small inconvenience persists.
I thought I just give it a 'bump'. If it can't be fixed, I can live with it.

Kizzie

HI Dutch - I just tried reading a new post entering via the "Unread Topics".  Once I read the post I used the "Back" arrow and it did not clear the "New" graphic, but did when I clicked on one of the forum titles or "Home" key after reading the post.  I did the same thing entering a new post via the subforum and the same thing happened.  Is this what you mean or am I missing what you're saying?

Dutch Uncle

No, it's different.

When I read new posts via the 'show unread posts', and then return to the main page via 'home' (so I go 'forward', so to speak), all sections show the 'no new posts' icon, except for the 'Treatment for CPTSD' section.
If the last post "xyz" made was in that section, it does not show at the bottom of the page (old style) as the "Last post: xyz", but when I click on "View the most recent posts on the forum" there, it is at the top of the list.  :stars:
(The second post in that queue, post "abc" does show as "Last post: abc" on the main page)

Next time this happens, I'll check out if the new look is affected in the same way. (It most probably is)
I only noticed it again the last couple of days, as the thread "Neurofeedback ..." is in one of the (sub)fora.
What I do to 'clear' is to go to the relevant sub-forum and press the 'mark read' button, which does the trick.

Kizzie

:stars: indeed lol.  OK, let me know when/if it happens again.

Dutch Uncle

Here are a few screenshots I just made:
(cropped, or they would be too large file-size to attach)

1) The "Last post:" message on the front page

2) The list of last posts when opened. Note that the "last post" from screen 1 is actually at place two.

Dutch Uncle

This glitch also affects the front page in another way.

1) The board "Treatment for CPTSD" does not have the "last post" displayed, but one from 9 January

2) When this forum is opened and the different sub-fora are displayed, the post does show up under "Therapy".
(NB: the fact that there is not a "new posts" mark in that screen is because by now I had read said post of "Today at 11:21:01". Do note that "GlitchTreatment1.png" was also taken after I had read said post. So most probably it gets 'ticked' as read on the subfora/child-boards, but not at the main page.)

Last but not least: this glitch also exists in the "new look". I used the old look for these screenshots, as I know my way around better in that environment at the moment.

PS: you may need to scroll left-right when opening the attachments to see all of it.

Kizzie

The screen shots really help, tks. I will take this to the Eclipse/SMF forum and see if one or the other has any ideas as to why this is occurring and how to fix it.