website on complex trauma - for people who don't fit in neat little boxes...

Started by Blueberry, July 12, 2022, 02:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

For people who don't fit in neat little boxes and everyone who cares about them!

Looking for something else today and came across this place: https://www.complextrauma.org/complex-trauma/complex-trauma-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-affect-people/

Lot of information of the type that we feel and say on here and wish that people, including professionals, would finally understand.

Not Alone

Thanks for this website, Blueberry. I want to bold the last paragraph!

Unearthing the Brontosaurus in the Basement
Despite being embraced by numerous international psychological associations and many multidisciplinary and clinical service-oriented networks and organization in the United States, some American medical associations and academically oriented research societies have opposed the notion of complex trauma precisely because of its complexity, and with it, its inability to fit neatly into pre-established boxes:

Is complex trauma a type of traumatic event or experience?
Or is it the outcome of exposure to these experiences?

Our vantage point is that the problem lies in this faulty insistence upon binary answers to a multidimensional problem. Complex trauma is the Brontosaurus in the basement. Closing one's eyes and insisting that it is does not exist will not stop the cracks in the foundation of outdated medical and diagnostic paradigms from spreading.

Blueberry

I like a lot on this page including The outcomes associated with Complex Trauma span a wide range of psychiatric diagnoses and misdiagnoses, functional impairments, and evolving educational, vocational, relational and health problems. Underlining is mine.

I also like the glossary. BPD is listed but only to give you Borderline Personality Disorder with no explanation, NPD isn't even listed. I like it. There's a thread running on our sister website on whether narc or BPD parents actually might have cptsd instead. And although I did throw in my 2 cents, there are some pretty simplistic responses on the thread including as a direct response to me, but I decided to drop the bat and not try to do any educating there.   

Armee

It really upsets me to see CPTSD lumped with BPD. They seem like 2 very distinct things to me though there is overlap. I think it bugs me so much because my mom's BPD was so bad and so damaging to me and so just mind boggling. She certainly had some level of Complex or not complex PTSD, but that's isn't what drove the most damaging behaviors.