Started by On the edge of hope, November 14, 2015, 02:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

On the edge of hope

Alas, I cannot find this in User Manual. What are the allowed maximum dimensions of an avatar picture?

And off topic/odd curiosity: How is this forum/Out of the Fog funded? Is this a nonprofit?

Dutch Uncle

Hi On the edge of hope

It's my first day on the 'job', so I'm not fully in-the-know-yet.  ;D
But I think I can give you the answer you want:
The displayed size of the avatar is 65x65 pixels maximum.
If your avatar has a bigger size than that, the software will 'shrink' it to fit the box.
In case of an oblong picture, the longest side will be shrunk to 65 pixels, leaving the shorter side less than 65 pixels to keep the picture in the right proportions.

Quote from: On the edge of hope on November 14, 2015, 02:35:19 AM
And off topic/odd curiosity: How is this forum/Out of the Fog funded? Is this a nonprofit?
The site is run by volunteers.

Quote"Out of the Storm is hosted by our sister site Out of the FOG. All proceeds are used to offset the costs of running and publicizing the site."

Here's a link to Out of the FOG explaining how it's funded:
http://www.outofthefog.net/Finances.html

I hope this answers you questions.
Looking forward to see you around.   :heythere:

Dutch Uncle

I noticed I have a HUGE avatar in the new forum-format.  ;D

I think this is due to the fact that my avatar is a 'link' to a file on the web, rather than an image I have uploaded to this forum myself.
I guess the software 'scales' such a web image to it's maximum allowed size.

Perhaps, but this is a wild guess again, that if one would 'upload' ones original file/picture again it will now be bigger than it was before. The 'old' format scaled any uploaded image back to 65x65 pixels automatically. Perhaps (again: no guarantee) the new forum-format allows for a bigger 'scale'.

NB: Uploading it again may require to rename the original file. Adding a "2" or "B" might do the trick.

update: defining your avatar by uploading an image will not make it bigger. Choosing a web-based picture as an avatar will result in a bigger avatar (provided the web-based picture is of sufficient size. Most of them will be though.
To pick a web-based avatar, choose "Specify avatar by URL" in the "Forum Profile" section under "Modify Profile", and enter the URL (=web-adress, as displayed in the 'bar' at the top of your browser) of the picture you want to have for an avatar.)