CPTSD and ADHD symptoms and treatment

Started by seriousann333, November 11, 2015, 05:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seriousann333

I have the diagnoses of PTSD and ADHD. I've never taken anxiety meds. Some say some ADHD symptoms such as memory problems, brain fog, restlessness etc. are actually symptoms of CPTSD. I have these symptoms which are being treated with Adderol. Which I must say has had drastically improved my ability to perform at work and interestingly enough has helped with organization and depression symptoms.
The downside is that my anxiety especially when I'm triggered shows up at night when I need to sleep.  This means I need to time out when I take meds and coffee and how much.

My question is: I have to be part of these meetings at work in the afternoons when meds and coffee are tapering off. I feel like someone took a vacuum cleaner to my brain. I say the opposite of what I mean and forget details. I'm not as articulate as in the morning. I feel embarrassed. I'm wondering if drinking green tea would help a little bit? Just to get through the meetings? Also I'm afraid to let people know I have mental health issues because of a really nightmarish experience with a former job where I was honest when my supervisor asked me if I had Ptsd and was mocked for struggling to managing my triggers.

EmoVulcan

Quote from: seriousann333 on November 11, 2015, 05:18:54 PM
The downside is that my anxiety especially when I'm triggered shows up at night when I need to sleep.  This means I need to time out when I take meds and coffee and how much.

That sounds like the adderal is clearing your system,  maybe a dose at noon, or cut it in half if you are only taking one?
I know my son had rebound effect..ADHD actually gets much worse if he missed or received his pill late...this was leaving him acting out after lunch, and he was unmanageable by the time he got home. But, truthfully ritalyn is awful stuff.  His Dr also prescribed clonadine to help him sleep at night, so the anxiety may come with the meds...seems counterintuitive though.  Coffee should actually work just like the meds, it is a stimulant too.  But it can make you feel like you took a sedative when on ADHD meds.

Quote from: seriousann333 on November 11, 2015, 05:18:54 PM
I feel like someone took a vacuum cleaner to my brain. I say the opposite of what I mean and forget details. I'm not as articulate as in the morning. I feel embarrassed. I'm wondering if drinking green tea would help a little bit? Just to get through the meetings?

How long after your initial dose does this go on?  Try green tea, it is lower in caffiene than coffee, but green tea has an element that counters the hyper effects of caffiene..which should just clear your fog...let us know.  I have been wondering about this add/ADHD link..seems ADD was what I was in school, but now I am as scattered as mty son ever was, and I dislike the fog of insensibility.

seriousann333

About 6 hours after initial dose I take 5 more mg to get through the afternoon. Even that wears off. I also have anxiety at the meetings, which is likely a factor. My day consists of doing therapeutic work then having to discuss cases at a meeting. It can be intense sometimes. I think I will try the green tea with chamomile. It's a good combo.

tired

I've had that happen so I was given short acting Ritalin and a very minimal dose worked well to get me through