Schema therapy update

Started by Laynelove, December 04, 2015, 06:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laynelove

So I noticed that schema therapy isn't really widely known and that it wasn't listed as a treatment on this site. I'm doing it at the moment and just wanted to update you all on how effective it has been for me..

I think it could actually end up being really really helpful for cptsd for those of us who were traumatised in our childhoods by our families, which let's face it is most of us. It's a really slow process though, and we have only just started the change phase of the therapy. As we go on in the program I'm seeing a lot of overlap between this therapy and pete walkers theories.

I think the most helpful part of it is mode awareness which to me sounds like pete walkers emotional flashbacks. The idea of this is when we are triggered it activates our 'vulnerable child' mode.
The idea is to enlist our 'healthy adult' to give our 'vulnerable child' what it needs before other unhelpful modes are activated. Eg. Vulnerable child might flip over into an angry child where we lash out at other people, then we flip into a 'impulsive' mode where we do something irrational like quitting jobs all of a sudden over a small argument etc.
while pete walkers emotional flashback management has been a huge help in being aware of when I'm in a flashback, I feel like changing it to 'mode flipping' instead of 'ef' for me personally helps shorten the period of time I'm in this flashback state...but most importantly it is reducing the damage I'm doing to my own life when I have been triggered.

It incorporates cbt and imagery rescripting as well. I don't know how much of an impact this therapy will have on me, but I can only hold out hope.

Just a word of warning, there is alot of trauma processing so it can be quite emotional. I've been on an emotional roller coaster since starting as you can probably tell by my posts, I go from being totally hopeless and ready to give in to hopeful and motivated in the space of 30minute cycles.