Magical thinking and Münchausen by proxy

Started by Bimsy, December 08, 2015, 05:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimsy

Anyone else had a N-mother who was always on a spiritual search for something?

My mother was always searching for the next thing that could "save her life", she was the queen of placebo.
When she found something new she would be so calm and happy that her life would be better, later on when she slowly came to realize that life was the same she would go back to being tired and depressed.

There are so many things I could say about her but I think I'll start here.
Often I have felt the same way as her as she would sometimes bring me along on a quest for something that would "help" me and it gave me hope until I realized it was often mumbo jumbo that sometimes made things worse.

I still got back pain that could quite possibly stem from her Münchausen by proxy which lead to a chiropractic treatment that I didn't need in the first place.
In her opinion I also have a lot of psychiatric disorders that makes me think and believe stuff that's not related to the reality that everyone else is living in, for many years I believed her.

Dutch Uncle

Oh yes.

Lots of Magical Thinking (It's one of the 'fleas' I have identified in my own behavior as well. :( ) and I have had the idea for quite a while now that her insistence of me being mentally defective might be some sort of Münchaussen by proxy, but then in a mental-illness related way.

I made two posts that are related:
http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=2278.msg14426#msg14426
In the Opening Post there is a link to an article that deals with relationships with Narcissists. Perhaps that's of help to you too.

http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=2524.msg15777#msg15777
contains a note I wrote to myself a few years back, and is my first 'spelling out' of my suspicions on 'mom' doing me harm, intentionally (but possibly not 'consciously'. Not that it really matters regarding the effect of her behavior.)

Bimsy

I hear this is a common trait that N might use to keep a mental hold of you, especially if they've read a little bit about psychology.
Did your mother take you to someone else in order to confirm that you are crazy?

My mother always found some money-hungry person that would go along with her B.S, I specifically remember one charlatan that told her upright what a great mother she was because she was helping her child.
I think he saw her need for validation there.

She would often steer the process towards the results that she wanted.
The child psychiatry actually accepted that she had done her own mental evaluation (on paper) of me so they didn't have to do it! (How helpful of her..)   

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: Bimsy on December 10, 2015, 02:43:48 AM
Did your mother take you to someone else in order to confirm that you are crazy?
Take me no, but she did send me. But that's just a minor detail. I was 18 and still very much 'under moms wings'.
First to a guy who was new at the business, and I thought he was a doofus so I quit after a session or three.
This was only because her own 'healer' (my words) couldn't have me.
Some years later she pressed me again, gave the the e-mail address of this guru/healer. I wrote him and he said no, he couldn't help me. (possiby I came across as not malleable enough, I think now as I type this.  ;D ) I then found another guy by myself, who actually has been of help, but still didn't have a clue about mental disorders and so left me to fend for (or better said: with) myself.
Only after that failed to bring any lasting relief I started coming out of the FOG.

So your mom was both (presumably) Munchausen-by-proxy in the physical and psychological field? The horror.  :hug:

Bimsy

Yes indeed! Not so much the physical for me though, just for her.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get any proper help until maybe now!  :hug: