Drowning in commitments? It's time to stop giving a damn.

Started by Dutch Uncle, January 01, 2016, 02:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Uncle

A rather fun and liberating article: Drowning in commitments? It's time to stop giving a damn

I can relate, and I find this a worthwhile effort to put some energy in, the coming year.

stacey

That is such an AWESOME two-step approach:

1 Decide what you don't give a F about
2 Don't give a F about those things.

If that is her bathroom in that photo, she obviously cares about having a clean bathroom. I wish those tiles were encrusted with grime and the grouting stained yellow. Then it would have been perfect :)

I like her commitment to giving not a * about other's opinions. I get an occasional glimpse of that freedom, when the countless times of repeating my mantra have sunk in (what other people think about me is none of my business).

Thanks for this post, DU. Was fun.

tired

because there's so much to do in life.  you have to skip most of it.

I like vanilla

DU this article is brilliant.

The 'stop giving a f#@k' method seems to work well. I had not really noticed how much I had been practising it until my T recently pointed out that I seemed to have a new personal motto: 'f*&k it!'. E.g. I wanted to go down the slide at the playground. No one was using the equipment but I felt self-conscious. Then I though 'f*&k it! and went down the slide. It was fun so I went down two more times'. Or, 'I really did not want to go to the meeting with my problematic boss, especially as someone more interesting requested a meeting at the same time. Then I thought f*&k it and confirmed the meeting with the second person, declining the one with my boss'...

Unable right now to actually walk out on my job, I am at least somewhat happier at work as I have learned to say 'f*&k it' to anything that does not affect my work, or those of my staff, or which does not work so well for me (OK, yes I do still have to go to some meetings but have learned to 'take notes' - half listen while writing down my grocery list, random thoughts, poetry, etc.).

I am finding it easier to do the more that I practise at it.

Maybe that could be one of the monthly exercises? Practising, learning, deciding, where we give a f*&k and where we don't then no giving a f&^k about the latter...

mourningdove

Dutch Uncle

That's a meditation even I could do.  :rofl:

Thanks a lot!  :thumbup:

I like vanilla

Thank you mourningdove!  :worship: :you rock: That link is fantastic!  :applause:

I agree with DU, this is one that even I could do. 

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Danaus plexippus

I do care how my hair looks, it's just that some mornings the arthritis in my arms makes it difficult to do anything about it. Thank God for Elizabeth Taylor making the bed-head look fashionable, or was that Phyllis Diller? Anyway in the words of Phyllis Diller "Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?"

mourningdove

Quote from: Danaus on May 12, 2016, 05:50:06 PM
Anyway in the words of Phyllis Diller "Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?"

:rofl:

Thanks for that, Danaus!!!

Danaus plexippus

Thanks Mourningdove, for the meditation. I'm bringing it to my Women's 9/11 Survivors Group to play for the others while we wait for our therapist to evict the doctors having lunch in our therapy room.  ;D