Panic Attack

Started by Cocobird, January 04, 2016, 03:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cocobird

I had a nasty fall a few days ago, and I've been down on myself for not being able to do more. My apartment is a disaster. Yesterday I had to buy parrot food, but I needed to take some asthma medication first. While I was waiting for it to start working, I finally opened the benefits package from my insurance company. They have raised the prescription deductible to $360. I freaked. I'd saved $300 for it, but I had to use that to get my car fixed. I kept thinking -- how am I going to get the money for this?

I got to the bird store okay, and felt kind of out of it when I was waiting in line. Then I went to Denny's for lunch and read. But  once I stopped reading, my breathing got bad, my hands were shaking and I was terrified. All I knew was that I needed to go home. Driving home was a challenge, but after I sat down for a while it all went away.

Any panic attack suggestions? I haven't had one in over a year.

Kizzie

I'm late in answering this but it seems like whatever you were thinking at the time helped to bring the panic down.  Or was it getting home that did it?   In either case it seems like you have a handle on them.  Mine would last for quite a while when I had them generally. 

Survivor

Hi Cocobird,

I'm so sorry that happened to you.
All I know is that panic attacks are the worst. Do you have any idea what triggered it? Sounds like worrying about money at least started the ball rolling. Even if you don't have another one, try to keep a mood log and see what stressors cause you to worry. You might start seeing some trends. What happens is that your self-talk starts you down a road and you may not even know it. Even saying something to yourself like, "I won't be able to pay for this" can start a chain reaction. There are some good exercises to learn to identify self-talk (it's something we don't even notice until our emotions have escalated beyond what is reasonable. Google "managing self talk" and see if you find any exercises that are Cognitive Behavioral or rational emotive. I know that's what has helped me with it.

Hope you don't have another one any time soon. Those are awful!