Skin picking

Started by Aliyah34, January 05, 2016, 02:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aliyah34

Hi everyone - does anyone out there pick there skin to the point it's obvious - I'm sure this is related to complex ptsd and it's ruining my life

Dutch Uncle

Hi Aliyah,  :wave:

and welcome to Out of the Storm.

I don't, but I fidget a lot.
I used to nail-bite, but that's long gone now. Well, I still do at times, but I've learned to always leave some 'white', so I have regular nails now.

As you settle in here, have a look at the  Guidelines for All Members and Guests to see what we're about, and particularly at the 'posting on self harm' section as this is a tricky subject for many of us.

Take care and welcome again,
:hug:
Dutch Uncle

Annegirl

:hug: Its similar to other forms of self harm which is something i struggle with, and its only obvious if i wear the 'wrong' clothes which I never do if I've had an episode. Im bothered because we are making lovely church friends and they are musicians like our family is but i always think if they knew what i did or what i look like under here they would be horrified and not want to be our friends. Please delete if this is not allowed to be discussed. But seriously what do others say, are you still accepted by friends if anyone has ever mentioned it (something i would never) but i want to know so i don't feel like I'm pretending to be something I'm not to our friends..... if you get what i mean?

PaintedBlack

I struggled with this immensely in my teens and twenties, now to a much lesser degree. It has been a primary source of anguish for me my whole life. I don't really have any advice to give you except to commiserate. I am so sorry because I do understand how you feel. :'(

Cocobird

I have been doing this for a while. I mainly pick at my scalp, under my hair where it won't show. My therapist told me this is OCD behavior.

Butterfly

From what I've researched it is a form of compulsive behavior so its similar of other self harming in that sense but different since certain self harm practices are pursued with the idea of feeling a release of endorphins. There seems to be conflicting information as to cause and perhaps that plays into how one would approach trying to heal.

From personal experience it can take a long time and conscious effort but finding other ways to self soothe helped. Several times of falling back but eventually overcame it. Keeping skin well cared for so there were no rough spots to catch my attention and also being very aware of what I am doing yet not reprimanding myself for doing it was a first step. For me the cause was nervous obsession combined with stress so reducing my stress by reducing contact with uPDm and taking steps with boundaries helped me heal from within and become a stronger person. To this day I need to be sure to keep skin smooth lest I find myself under stress and fall back. Taking good care of my skin to make sure it's nice and smooth is one way to self soothe.

Dyess

I also do this, with me it's more my fingers , or any rough skin.  It's embarrassing.

Gemski2k16

YES, for many years I have picked at my hands to the point they are heavily scarred now. This is a condition connected to OCD called dermatilamania.

I don't pick quite as much now but I used to pick till I bled and the scars will never go away. I feel your agony especially if it's noticable.

Laurelinwen

Yup.  Hands and fingers, since 4th grade.  I remember cuz I got a skin rash and picked at it.  I bit my lip, so did my Mom.  Sucks.

Drew

I pick at blackheads and zits ... probably not the same extent, but it is something I've done for a long time