Stunning story: Religious Abuse at it's worse, with an (IMHO) happy ending.

Started by Dutch Uncle, November 25, 2015, 02:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Uncle

I'll leave out any trigger warnings, as I assume those who might get triggered by 'this', know to avoid this part of the Board.
I do want to say: View at your own discretion: it's ugly.

This is an article from the "New Yorker" on one of the members who has fled America's most hated church/cult/denomination.

I post this as a sign of hope, and at the same time as a sign of how bad Religious Abuse can be, for all those caught up in it, on either side.
This is how bad it is

I've seen some excellent (yet horrifying) documentary's on this specific church, most notably by Louis Theroux. (Who has made a lot of excellent documentaries on a wide range of topics, all related in some form or another on the 'human condition'. From Alzheimer's to "No go areas" all over the globe. But I digress.)

arpy1

:'( omg i read the whole thing. i am grateful u posted it.  it was very powerful and resonated so much altho the character of westboro is markedly different in its attitude to outsiders from how the JP were.

i want to cry and cry. yes, triggered, i guess but it reminds me how deeply and how much i still need healing.  i wanted to email her or something and just say 'how has it been for you, and this is how it is for me.' any thing to feel like there is some one out there who can understand how i feel about this part of my life.  i even looked at her facebook page but i didn't have the courage to say anything.  but i wish i had someone i could relate to in this. like, about how it really really was and how it is now.  there's stuff, lots of stuff that no one can understand. it makes me sad. :'(

Dutch Uncle

I'm sorry arpy1, it had such an impact on you. I'm crying as I read your reply.  :'(

I can't say I did 'rule out' such a reaction in you, so yes, I'll plead guilty to triggering you. But not to the extend I wanted this to happen.

You're not alone in this, is what I want to say to you. Even though it's difficult for me to fathom the true extend of what you have gone through. As it's hard for me to fathom to what she went through.
Though I can say I'm not completely oblivious to/ignorant of it. Sadly enough.

It breaks my heart to hear you say you can relate so much to all this.
I can only hope, and wish, this too is a place for you to 'touch base'.

Peace to you, arpy1.
Perhaps in time you'll find want, need or courage to contact her.
Or not.
There's no rush either way.

You're not alone in this.
Unsuspected allies are to be had just around the corner.
:hug: