Manual: How to use the "quote"-function?

Started by Dutch Uncle, January 31, 2016, 06:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Uncle

Note: where I have typed (quote) or (/quote) in this manual, you should read "[" and "]" instead of "(" and ")". Otherwise I would actually use the
Quote quote-code
and things wouldn't make much sense in this manual.

There are a few methods to do this.

1) If you want to reply to a post and want to quote part of it in your post, you can choose "quote" as displayed at the top right hand of the post you want to reply from.
a) In the new forum-format this can be chosen from a 'pull-down' menu under "actions"
b) in the old format simply click "quote"

This will open a reply screen with the full original post displayed. You can then remove the parts you don't want to quote, and type whatever you want to add after the (/quote)-mark displayed, or add something before the (quote)-mark displayed at the beginning.

2) Alternatively, just hit "reply", and in the new screen, under the 'reply' box you'll see all previous posts displayed with a "insert quote" button at the top right corner of them. Clicking this will insert all content of that post in the 'reply-box'. Under what you may already have typed there, or at any other location your cursor is at that moment.
Remove all you don't want to use in between the "quote" marks.

3) Alternatively, select the piece of text you want to quote, and copy this (by whatever means you are used to copy texts). Then click the "Insert quote" icon in the 'reply-screen' (second row, thirteenth icon, just right of the #button. The one with the little rectangular 'text-balloon' on it) which will 'print' (quote) (/quote) in your message. If you now 'paste' the selected text will be insert between the two marks.
Any additional text can be inserted there as well.
3b) any text that is selected inside the 'reply-box' at the time of clicking the "quote" icon will be quoted, i.e. get (quote) before it and (/quote) behind it. Same process, just the order is reversed.

4) manually type (quote) and (/quote) before and after relevant text to get the "quote" function to work.
This may be the simplest solution if you want to reply to multiple things said in a post you are replying too, but want to reply to each thing separately. Type (/quote) after the first bit, type your reply.
Then type (quote), scroll through the part where you want to end the quote, type (/quote) and repeat the process. Once you reach the end of the message, a (/quote) will already be there.

If this still is all gibberish to you, don't hesitate to post here, and I'll try to make it clearer.

QuoteDutch Uncle, Technical adviser
;)

Dutch Uncle

This is an example of "quoting".
I now have chosen "quote" from the drop-down menu.
The full post is now being quoted.
This text has simply been typed in front of the first (quote)-mark.

Quote from: Dutch Uncle on January 31, 2016, 06:28:15 PM
Note: where I have typed (quote) or (/quote) in this manual, you should read "[" and "]" instead of "(" and ")". Otherwise I would actually use the
Quote quote-code
and things wouldn't make much sense in this manual.

There are a few methods to do this.

1) If you want to reply to a post and want to quote part of it in your post, you can choose "quote" as displayed at the top right hand of the post you want to reply from.
a) In the new forum-format this can be chosen from a 'pull-down' menu under "actions"
b) in the old format simply click "quote"

This will open a reply screen with the full original post displayed. You can then remove the parts you don't want to quote, and type whatever you want to add after the (/quote)-mark displayed, or add something before the (quote)-mark displayed at the beginning.

2) Alternatively, just hit "reply", and in the new screen, under the 'reply' box you'll see all previous posts displayed with a "insert quote" button at the top right corner of them. Clicking this will insert all content of that post in the 'reply-box'. Under what you may already have typed there, or at any other location your cursor is at that moment.
Remove all you don't want to use in between the "quote" marks.

3) Alternatively, select the piece of text you want to quote, and copy this (by whatever means you are used to copy texts). Then click the "Insert quote" icon in the 'reply-screen' (second row, thirteenth icon, just right of the #button. The one with the little rectangular 'text-balloon' on it) which will 'print' (quote) (/quote) in your message. If you now 'paste' the selected text will be insert between the two marks.
Any additional text can be inserted there as well.
3b) any text that is selected inside the 'reply-box' at the time of clicking the "quote" icon will be quoted, i.e. get (quote) before it and (/quote) behind it. Same process, just the order is reversed.

4) manually type (quote) and (/quote) before and after relevant text to get the "quote" function to work.
This may be the simplest solution if you want to reply to multiple things said in a post you are replying too, but want to reply to each thing separately. Type (/quote) after the first bit, type your reply.
Like that. To continue quoting from my post, I will now type (quote):
QuoteThen type (quote), scroll through the part where you want to end the quote, type (/quote) and repeat the process. Once you reach the end of the message, a (/quote) will already be there.

If this still is all gibberish to you, don't hesitate to post here, and I'll try to make it clearer.

QuoteDutch Uncle, Technical adviser
;)

The sentences I have stricken out (Fourth button on the top row, for those who are curious about how to do that), are examples of parts of texts I might have deleted from my original post.

Kizzie