Accepting I'm a victim. **possible triggers**

Started by Dutch Uncle, March 21, 2016, 10:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wife#2

Three Roses, you said this better than I possibly could have.

I am so tired of being made to feel even worse because I identify with 'victim' as I cope with what I've experienced. I will move on, when I am ready, to survivor.

Yet, I do understand why so many reject 'victim'. It can even be triggering to some folks. So, while I do identify as a victim when I'm finally remembering something that happened (or didn't- I was invisible emotionally), I still try to avoid that word because of the negative connotations.

But, I put those negative connotations into the same boat with the negative connotations of mental illness at all. Our society (globally, really) wants so badly to make all the ugly go away, but their way to do that is to pretend it doesn't exist or to make it socially unacceptable to talk about it. Ignoring these problems will not make them go away - that is why so many of us are here trying to sort out what DID happen in our lives.

Thank you, Dutch Uncle for this thread, and Three Roses for your opinions also!

Danaus plexippus

I'm not making an issue of semantics. Call yourself a victim, if that gives you validation. It just pains me to witness you twisting the knife in your own heart. You have given me good advice since the day I joined. I wish I could think of the words to help you dispell your darkness.