Weighted blankets?

Started by JustJane, April 17, 2018, 05:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustJane

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I have been reading this site for a while & have found it to be very helpful! Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, but want to ask if anyone here has used a weighted blanket to help with insomnia & anxiety, and if so, have you found it to be helpful? There are several sites that sell them, but they are rather expensive & I wonder if they are worth the money.

Thank you for reading

Blueberry

Welcome to the forum JustJane  :heythere:

I'm sorry I can't say. I've never used one. I think I can remember it being mentioned once since I've been on the forum (aobut a year).

California Dreaming

Welcome JustJane :) I have not used a weighted blanket either but wanted to welcome you. I can see how they might help with anxiety and insomnia. I have used a heavy hoodie for the past 5 years when I am in a triggered state. I wrap myself in it to feel protected and to stay warm.

JustJane

Thank you Blueberry & California Dreaming  :wave:  I appreciate the welcome

I have used Xanax to help me fall asleep for the last few years & it works, but it would be nice if I could find an alternative that isn't drugs.

Hopefully someone will eventually reply that has used one of the blankets. Have a good day  :)

Kizzie

Hi JustJane - I have not used a weighted blanket but also want to welcome you to OOTS.

I have heard of compression therapy in terms of emotional support animals where the dog will lay on his owner if they are having an anxiety attack to calm them.  I don't know if just the weight of a blanket would be helpful though as it seems it's the warmth and live support that is a big part of compression from a service animal.  Maybe you could try layering a few blankets on you (will require a cool/cold room though I would think), to see if that feels helpful? 

JustJane

Thank you Kizzie  :)

I have tried layering blankets, but get too hot. Interesting about the support animals, thank you very much!

Three Roses

I wonder if you could sort of craft your own weighted blanket? I'm thinking little pockets of packs of rice or sand or something. I'm curious to hear if this helps you sleep, if you can find or make one to try. GL!

JustJane

Three Roses, I'm not the crafty type...like not at all, LOL! Won't try making one, but I may end up buying one. I will post here if I get one to let everyone know. Thanks!

Sceal

I have wondered the same, about the weighted blankets. If they would help.
They help for some people with anxiety and with restlesslegs and for people on the autism spectrum. I never ended up getting one, because they are so expensieve - and because I worry I'll feel trapped. And I also wouldn't know how heavy to get one, they come in various weights.

Londongal

Hi Just Jane,

I use a weighted blanket and it really does help. I bought it in spring and found it made me have more restful sleep. I've not used it during the summer as it's been too hot, but it'll be back on my bed as soon as the weather is cooler!