I know I have C-PTSD, but I have no idea how to get better

Started by reyna54, April 04, 2016, 10:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reyna54

Hello all, this is my first time partaking in any sort of a group like this so forgive me if I am not doing this right. My name is Reyna and I am a 19 year old female. I grew up in an emotionally abusive home, and the abuse began at birth and continued until I was 12. My little sister was sexually abused my our father, and a couple of my therapists believe I was as well but am suppressing it. Regardless, I have developed intense hyper vigilance, severe anxiety, and have frequent disassociation. I was diagnosed with Complex PTSD but the therapist who diagnosed me claimed that he was not confident in his ability to treat me, since my disorder is so new. Now I simply don't know where to go from here. I suppose I could try to find another therapist but I am a psychology major myself, so I am very picky with who treats me. It also makes me very anxious to have to call multiple therapists and make the appointments, and telling someone new my story is always awful. I have read to meditate and exercise but it is so hard to find time for things like that when you are depressed and in school full time as well as employed full time. Please tell me what some of the best methods of treatment you guys have found, any bit of advice helps. My boyfriend of a year insists that I try SOMETHING new, because he is the only one who I have to help me cope with my disorder and I believe that if I don't find a way to heal or a new outlet I might lose the only person who truly loves me. Please give me some advce

Kizzie

Hi Reyna and a warm welcome to OOTS  :heythere:  Sorry to hear you are having difficulty finding a T, but given you are a psych student perhaps you can ask one or more of your professors for a couple of names of T's who are trauma trained?  If anyone would know, they would.  If you're not comfortable doing that depending on where you live there are some searchable databases here.

There is also a forum about different types of therapy here where you can get some idea of what's available in terms of types of therapy.

And not to worry about doing things the right way here, there is no right way just whatever feels comfortable for you.  Glad you found your way here!   :hug:

reyna54

Thank you for the advice Kizzie,
Unfortunately I go to an out of state college in a strictly online program so asking my professors for a reccomendation would not provide me with anyone able to help me in my area. I really appreciate you liking me to the different types of therapy available, and I really appreciate having an online forum of people who actually understand what is going on with me.

89abc123

Hi there,

I think you have a great chance of recovering because you are so aware of the issue so young.

My advice is to find a trauma psychologist and ask them if they have dealt with cptsd. Also, the Spartan life coach videos on YouTube are an awesome free resource to help you define your goals and educate yourself on emotional abuse and cptsd. It is Also a great resource for your partner to watch to help understand what you are going through and how they can support you.

Lisa a Romano is also a great YouTube life coach and takes new clients via Skype, she helps heal codepency but not cptsd...both issues cross over tho I find.

Also pete walkers book from surviving to thriving.

Apart from that, having compassion for yourself, being patient and looking after your own needs is the only advice I can give you.

Good luck and good on you for taking the first step in recovery.