Is it dissociation?

Started by Sasha06, May 05, 2016, 05:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasha06

Growing up one of my nicknames was Space cadet. This was because I would stare off into space and would need someone to grab my attention to get out of it. This was some what of a joke and annoyance with many of my family members. When I explained this to a therapist I was dealing with many years ago, this is what they said it was. But with reading what some of the descriptions are, I'm no longer sure. Of course I really don't experience these episodes anymore, and the last one I remember (of course the only one I remember) I was still in middle school. Dinner time and I "went away" in the middle of trying to take a bite of spaghetti. (odd the things we remember) And that's exactly what happened. I was gone. No thought, no awareness.
Is this one aspect of dissociation? Or something else?
I know this isn't a diagnosis, but having a possibility of what it could be is oddly.....calming. It's a starting point.

mourningdove

It could be dissociation. You're description reminded me of this:

QuoteDissociative trance: This condition is characterized by an acute narrowing or complete loss of awareness of immediate surroundings that manifest as profound unresponsiveness or insensitivity to environmental stimuli. May be accompanied by minor stereotyped behaviors of which the individual is unaware and/or that he or she cannot control, as well as transient paralysis or loss of consciousness. The dissociative trance is not a normal part of a broadly accepted collective cultural or religious practice. "
(source: http://traumadissociation.com/osdd)