new diagnosis 6mths ago confused

Started by megasolo, May 08, 2016, 03:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

megasolo

Diagnosed cptsd 6mths ago. Psychologist says it is just another form of anxiety and the treatment is the same as anxiety. I've been changing antidepressants for mths now and reacting badly to each one. Currently on one that is giving me motivation but not doing anything for the depression so my cptsd symptoms are quite bad at the mo. I dont know whether to find a new psychologist?been with her over 2 yrs, she didnt pick up ptsd even though I suspected it and showed signs

mourningdove

Welcome!   :wave:

I think that psychologists generally categorize C-PTSD (like PTSD) as an "anxiety disorder," but I don't know if the treatment would be the same as for the other anxiety disorder diagnoses. I was initially given diagnoses like panic disorder and social anxiety disorder, and the professionals I saw were trying to do CBT and exposure and stuff like that. It was completely wrong for me and I found it damaging.

Hard to know what to say about your psychologist, though I do think it's kind of a bad sign that it took her a year and a half to realize that you had C-PTSD.

Dutch Uncle

Hi megasolo  :wave:  and welcome to Out of the Storm.

Quote from: megasolo on May 08, 2016, 03:29:09 AM
Diagnosed cptsd 6mths ago. Psychologist says it is just another form of anxiety and the treatment is the same as anxiety. I've been changing antidepressants for mths now and reacting badly to each one. Currently on one that is giving me motivation but not doing anything for the depression so my cptsd symptoms are quite bad at the mo. I dont know whether to find a new psychologist?been with her over 2 yrs, she didnt pick up ptsd even though I suspected it and showed signs
I have a very unsuccessful track-record with therapists so I may not be the best to give you advice or reflect on your post, but I'll do it anyway. Disregard if you wish or want.

Who diagnosed you with cPTSD? The same psychologist?
Who prescribes you the antidepressants? Where I live that can only be done by a psychiatrist. But perhaps I'm just nitpicking here.
If she says it 'is just another form of anxiety and the treatment is the same as anxiety' perhaps you could ask what has been the point of diagnosing you with cPTSD? I assume you were previously diagnosed with some sort of anxiety disorder (since treatment stays the same), so I think you're entitled to know what exactly will change as a result of the cPTSD diagnosis? IMHO one can't change the diagnosis and keep going like nothing has changed.

I think that if you feel you are not making progress after two years therapy, a new therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist is a valid option at least. Our section Finding a Therapist might be of aid to you to help decide if you need/want to change therapist, or just change the therapy itself.

Pete Walker, who has written such a helpful book on cPTSD describes cPTSD as an "attachment disorder". Sure, we all know from experience that anxiety and depression are symptoms of cPTSD, but IMHO (I'm a layman) that doesn't make it just another anxiety disorder.
An IMHO relevant quote from his webpage:
QuoteIn my experience, many clients with Complex PTSD have been misdiagnosed with various anxiety and depressive disorders, as well as bipolar, narcissistic, codependent and borderline disorders.
[...]
This is not to say that those so diagnosed do not have issues that are similar and correlative with said disorders, but that these labels are incomplete and unnecessarily shaming descriptions of what the client is afflicted with. Calling complex PTSD "panic disorder" is like calling food allergies chronically itchy eyes; over-focusing treatment on the symptoms of panic in the former case and eye health in the latter does little to get at root causes.

Welcome again,
:hug:

megasolo

Thanks for the replies. As you may have guessed, it was not the psychologist that eventually diagnosed me. It was a psychiatrist. Medication also directed by psychiatrist. Have decided to do more research and then discuss with  psychologist what she understands about CPTSD and what the plan is moving forward. Trying to get that recommended book at the moment but having trouble using paypal for it on Amazon.  :Idunno: