Panic Attack Symptoms/Antidepressant Withdrawal

Started by ContemplativeLady, April 14, 2016, 10:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ContemplativeLady

Though I have suffered from Depression and CPTSD for many years, I have only recently looked to medication as an aid in my recovery. Cipralex was the first antidepressant of choice by my psychiatrist, but after a couple months it was evident that I was experiencing almost every side effect. I was quickly switched to Zoloft, but unfortunately the dose given was lower than the corresponding dose of Cipralex, and I experienced withdrawal symptoms my first day making the transition.

I experienced withdrawal for six days because the hospital did not recognize the dose conversion mistake and it was only corrected when I was able to see my psychiatrist again. I have had panic attacks in the past, but they are much more severe now because of the many psychosomatic symptoms added to the list. The professionals in my life seem uncomfortable on the topic of panic attacks because it is not a topic of expertise, so I am requesting your opinions.

Of my many panic attack symptoms, which should I consider possibly caused by side effects to Zoloft and which should I consider psychosomatic responses to trauma regarding past withdrawal?

- Extreme Fatigue
- Unable to focus eyes
- Extreme pressure felt above eyes
- Uncomfortably vivid dreams
- Tremors
- Increased heart rate
- Labored breathing
- Dry mouth
- Burning Gums (no one has been able to explain this one to me)
- Sweaty palms
- Loss of sensation in legs/arms
- Slurred speech
- Twitching of top lip

There has been talk that I may be too heavily medicated resulting in a dose decrease prescribed within a month. Because of my severe fear regarding medication withdrawal, I need help knowing what I should potentially expect to occur outside of a panic attack. I can't afford to call for another ambulance so I need to go through this feeling prepared and in control. Thank you in advance to anyone who shares words of support, understanding, or advice.

Talisien

I am no expert on medication. I have never been down the route of medication. All I can say is that not taking medication I have the following symptoms any way...

- Extreme Fatigue
- Unable to focus eyes
- Uncomfortably vivid dreams
- Tremors
- Increased heart rate
- Labored breathing
- Sweaty palms
- Loss of sensation in legs/arms

The others I have never experienced however. Not sure if this helps separate out side effects of medication or not.

Wishing you all the best  :hug:

Kizzie

Can you talk with your psychiatrist about this? 

The other good resource is a pharmacist.  When I was doing chemo some years ago, I had a number of reactions/side effects which the head nurse gatekeeper at the cancer centre dismissed and of course I felt invalidated and ashamed and did not tell the doctor what was going on. 

But I did check with the pharmacy team at my drug store about all of my meds. They figured I had a paradoxical reaction to both steroids and anxiety meds, and that the anti nausea med I was given needed to be changed out for something stronger.  Armed with that knowledge I took that back to my oncology team and my meds were changed.

Hope you get some help with this  :hug: