Waking up with an anxiety attack - random or EF ??

Started by Alice97, May 31, 2016, 10:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice97

Several times a week I wake up in the morning and within 30 seconds am having an anxiety attack that usually lasts for hours. I know the phrase "panic attack" is overused nowadays, so I just want to clarify what symptoms I have when this happens:  It becomes difficult to breathe correctly (I start breathing rapidly and shallowly), I lose my appetite, my heart beats quicker but weaker, I have a hard time swallowing, I feel extremely fatigued and like I'm about to burst into tears at any moment, I start to tremble and shake, and if I have to sit still I twitch and sometimes have tremors. Does anyone else experience this upon first waking up in the morning? Is it just random anxiety or could it be a flashback of some sort? Sometimes it happens when I wake up out of a nightmare, as if the anxiety in my dreams just carries over into waking life, but other times it happens out of the blue. I'm feeling a little confused as to why this happens. I'm thinking it might just be my brain's reaction to anticipating daytime stress, but I'm curious what you all think.  :Idunno:

Laurelinwen

Alice97, you are NOT alone. This might not sound very encouraging, but I've been dealing with wake-up anxiety attacks for 2 years now.  They started like yours, lasting for hours until I thought they'd never end, I'd be in tears.  I'd even force myself to the gym and while I was exercising, I was okay, but it came back after.  I felt like myself around 3:00ish.

There's hope.  I've been seeing a great psychiatrist, who prescribed Prazosin for my nightmares, and 1mg clonipin an hour before I wake up (I set my alarm).  That's how long it takes for the drug to enter my system.

I hope that one day I won't need prescriptions.  As of now, I wake shaky once or twice a week. I also got a job at Starbucks because it gets me moving and out of anxiety at 5:00am.  It's a pay cut, but worth downsizing for my mental health.  I'm also running 5k every other day:  that helps too, sheer exhaustion.

I registered bc I saw your post and had to get back!  You aren't alone.  Meds aside, the 5ks and Starbucks saved my sanity.  Maybe they can help you?

Thinking of you, Alice97!  You are not alone!

Laure

arpy1

totally relate to both posts!  my nights are always full of anxious, flashbacky dreams, and if i have a morning where i wake up feeling not anxious, it is like christmas!. except that then i get anxious about not feeling anxious.  i always look at the waking up feeling, whether its from a nightmare in the middle of the night or in the morning, as an emotional flashback caused by the dreams. i guess my subconscious wants to say its piece and it only gets free rein when i am asleep and not locked down. the stress of thinking about how to cope with the day contributes but i don't feel like it's my main cause.

my trick is an agreement to get up at stupid oclock in the morning to take my son to work in return for petrol money. (i can't work at the mo). this helps enormously but doesn't stop the problem. just means i can't take time to think too hard at that time of the day. the other thing that helps is my pet ratties who are awake at the time i get back from my early morning drive. playing with four crazy, adorable girlies takes up another hour or so and they make me laugh too, which helps. and many cups of coffee.  i begin to feel human again about midday, but i often need a nap about three for a couple of hours. that helps me get through the evening. plus the meds, but i have to take them early evening becos they are sedating and i don't like to drive too soon after taking them.

so, Alice97, you are in good company.  hope this is reassuring  :blink: :bigwink: :hug: sending you support :)

Alice97

I'm soooo glad you registered so you could post a response, Laure, thank you so much!! Working early in the morning and running are great ideas. My attacks do usually get better when I can force my mind to be thinking about something else. Meds might be an option eventually too, I really need to get professional help but I'm really scared to take the first step in that direction.

And thank you for your response arpy1, it was very reassuring! I completely relate to what you said about your nightmares, my subconscious has lots to say when I'm asleep it's not locked down too.

Again, thank you both sooo very much!! I woke up in the middle of an attack this morning and was so relieved to find I'm not weird or alone  :cheer:

felloutofthesky

This has happened to me before, and I ended up knocking my morning cup of coffee all over my computer and it died  :doh: Something really helpful to me for panic attacks and anxiety is magnesium, especially the brand Natural Calm which is a powder that you mix into water/juice/smoothies and it works almost as well as Klonopin for me. Failing that, Klonopin is really helpful in a bad situation.