New to OOTS--diagnosed with PTSD & Complex Trauma, glad to find CPTSD (trigger?)

Started by emmmm, May 29, 2016, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emmmm

Hello. I am new to this forum, but am glad to be around "my people." I am a 30 year old woman who has been in therapy for multiple years. Only recently have I been given a helpful diagnosis. I used to be told that I had anxiety disorder, and the role that trauma has played in my life and emotional wellbeing was largely overlooked. I am glad to finally have a therapist that specializes in trauma work, but I still have a long way to go until I feel "recovered," whatever that means.

I was diagnosed with PTSD/complex trauma last year. I have previously been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. I have been frustrated because I don't completely meet the criteria for PTSD. My boyfriend is getting his doctorate in psychology, and while he doesn't "therapize" me or anything like that, I have described my life to him, and he agrees with me that I am suffering more from the impact of complex trauma than specifically PTSD. He says that people like me are probably diagnosed with PTSD because it is in the DSM and is useful for treating trauma victims. I hope that CPTSD will be added to the next DSM, whenever that is published. I have a hard time explaining my symptoms to people (like my dentist). I have been asked multiple times when I say that I have PTSD if I am a veteran. I want to be able to tell someone what I am going through without the assumption that I am a veteran. The label of CPTSD would help with this, I think.

I have had so many traumatic experiences in my life that it has been hard at times to work through the PTSD treatment model that my therapist has been using, but gradually, I am working through my trauma. I dissociated so much during my childhood that re-entering those memories has been traumatic in and of itself. In addition to being severely neglected by my  drug-addicted parents and witnessing domestic violence, I have also been through a house fire, earthquake, and several other traumatic events.

I have reached a point in my life when at times my fear and stress level make certain activities almost impossible because I am so afraid. I find it hard to relax.

I am currently trying to reach the point of acceptance for the things that have happened in my life. I am in an amazing, loving relationship right now that I don't want to mess up, but I am finding that my fear is starting to sabotage some of my happiness. I look forward to being able to talk with other people who have experienced some of what I have, and who know what it feels like. Thanks.

Emmmm

Three Roses

Nice to meet you! I'm new here too. I'm glad you're here and that you are getting the support you need <3

mourningdove

Hi Emmmm!  :wave:

I've had that same experience of telling people I have PTSD and them asking if I'm a veteran. It's so frustrating. :/

Glad you are here. Welcome!  :hug: