Tinnitus

Started by Jdog, May 30, 2016, 11:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danaus plexippus

I increased my Melatonin intake back up to 15 MG for the past few nights. I am sleeping extremely well but my confusional arousal is through the roof and my Tinnitus is so far unabated. Unless your doc prescribes a higher dose, you should probably not exceed 3 MG QD. :zzz:

Jdog

Thanks so much information, and I hope you feel better soon.  I am sleeping better with the melatonin but no difference overall in the tinnitus so far.

Danaus plexippus

Last night I stayed up later than usual, had difficulty getting up this morning, still feel tired and my tinnitus is noticeably worse. Perhaps it's not so much the melatonin but the sleep itself that decreases the severity of tinnitus. I'll do my best to get to bed on time tonight and see if I hear any difference. 

Jdog

Very interesting point, Danaus.  I am not noticing much of a difference in the tinnitus despite a reduction in my overall stress levels (just started summer break away from teaching), but on the other hand, I do notice that it is not quite as bothersome.  Maybe the meditation, self acceptance, and other tools I am using are helping me to habituate. 

Danaus plexippus

Place the palms of your hands firmly over your ears and gently tap the back of you neck and base of your skull with the tips of your fingers. What does it sound like?

arpy1

i don't know if this is any use, but when i had problems (tinnitus runs in the family but i dont think it was that) with my ears, and with dizziness and so on the ENT doc suggested that my neck being out would possibly exacerate the problems i was experiencing. my neck is nearly always out becos of tension, so it sort of made sense. just thought i'd mention that in case.

Jdog

Danaus-

It sort of sounds like a hollow drum when I do as you suggested.  Does this mean something in particular?

Arpy1-

Yes, I concur that neck problems are likely exacerbating this situation.  I see a bodywork person once a month and she is always working in the neck, as I have a perpetually tight area mostly on the left side.  I attribute it to the many years of playing violin with too much tension. 

Danaus plexippus

It's part of a preparation for a mindfulness meditation. I hadn't practiced it lately. All this discussion of tinnitus reminded me of it. Just felt like sharing it with who ever cared to give it a try.

Jdog

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Chartery

Thanks for this thread - I have tinnitus as well, so it's interesting to for me.  I am not on any prescription medication but I can certainly relate with the varied intensity.

Jdog

Glad it's helpful.  According to one study (sorry, don't have reference available right now), 34 percent of PTSD sufferers also have tinnitus.  Points to ponder....

Danaus plexippus

My doc increased my Sertraline to 150MG a day and my tinnitus is suddenly deafening! Well that's the last straw. I suspected the Sertraline was to blame. It's had other horrible side effects too and it's not doing what it's supposed to do. I've been on it for about a year and I'm getting worse instead of better. I'm titrating myself of it now. I hope I recover from all these side effects.

Jdog

Danaus-

I send healing thoughts your way.

Danaus plexippus

I'm down to 25 MG QD Sertraline now and still have a noticeable amount of ringing in my ears. Although at 25 MG it is no longer deafening, more just annoying. I hope it continues to fade away as the last little half life of Sertraline molecules metabolize out of me. Likewise my vision is less blurry as the Sertraline is reduced.

Jdog

Thank you for the update, Danaus plexippus.  I hope it subsides, also.  I have had no change in my tinnitus, just a slightly different attitude toward it.  I no longer feel threatened by it and seem to function ok most days in most settings.