Juicers

Started by BeHea1thy, October 23, 2014, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeHea1thy

Recently diagnosed with the big 'C' and am going to do what I can to (slowly and methodically) go green and serene! Tabletop juicers are out, just burned out a little 200 watt motor after 10 seconds! :blink: So, heavy hitters are in. Masticating and s-l-o-w. Limited (disability) income, so nothing in the 4 digit category either.  Anyone have any juicing experience to share?

AndyT

BeHealthy,

I am sorry to hear about the diagnosis, I am not the best on juicer specs but Ebay might be a place to find a bargain.

spryte

The vitamix is like the super rockstar of the juicing world. I'd love to be able to afford one.

I think next after that, is probably the Ninja...it's a blender, but like the knockoff version of the Vita Mix, about half the price. Still spendy.

With both of those, you'll get the fiber WITH the juice, which is good for you.

I don't know what brand my juicer is, I can look when I get home. I like it, other than...and this will be true with any juicer really, it's really loud and a pain to clean so not great for motivation if you're struggling with exhaustion or depression.

I got my juicer for free off of freecycle. I know it was just a right time, right place kind of thing but I've gotten a lot of things off of freecycle, so it might not be a bad place to start. I also got a dehydrator off there a few years ago, that I never even ended up using and ended up passing along.

I believe that craigslist also has a free/in search of section.

Kizzie

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis BeHealthy  :hug:

Butterfly

Yup Vitamix but it's technically not a juicer, it purées seeds and all of everything that goes into it. Peels and all. Personally better than a juicer because all the pulp is in there but if you need juice for your diet sans fiber then not good. Is big C celiac? I'm gluten free and have Vitamix banana and 'stuff' shake daily, sometimes even greens. It's yum.

schrödinger's cat

Sorry to hear that, BeHealthy. I'll be thinking of you, and I wish you all the best.

No idea about juicers though, sorry.

keepfighting

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Behea1thy!  :hug:

No idea about juicers, all I know is you have to be careful with your antioxidant intake if you have C (I don't know if that's true for any kind of C or just some specific kinds???). My MIL had bad experiences with an overdose of antioxidants while being treated for C (beetroot juice I believe it was - nearly killed her).

Take good care of yourself! Sending good thoughts your way.  :bighug:

schrödinger's cat

Quote from: BeHea1thy on October 24, 2014, 03:57:50 PM
Had my first post op visit yesterday and my site looks excellent according to the surgeon and nurse practitioner!

:party:

keepfighting

Quote from: BeHea1thy on October 24, 2014, 03:57:50 PM
Had my first post op visit yesterday and my site looks excellent according to the surgeon and nurse practitioner! I was able to share a positive story with another staff who asked about my purple hearing aids. Oh yeah, I'm 'deaf' too. Haven't said that elsewhere, but without my aids, nothing but internal ringing. There is a silver lining though. Crying babies and barking dogs don't bother me.  :bigwink:

:cheer:  Great news!  :cheer:

Had a good laugh at your hearing aid story.  ;D

I have to take meds now that as a side effect impair my hearing. In May, my hayfever also kicked in which affects my sense of smell. So there I was, visiting friends, when a blushing mother felt the need to say sorry for her son's behavior. Apparently he ripped a rather loud and smelly one right in front of me and I neither heard nor smelled a thing ... ;D.