An alternative approach to the effects of multiple traumas

Started by Contessa, June 09, 2016, 06:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contessa

This article discusses the importance of Complex PTSD as a singular diagnosis. It argues that misdiagnoses and treatment of patients with several different disorders (BPD, DID, etc) that address their individual symptoms can be alleviated with therapy targeted toward just one, being Complex PTSD. A short read.

Taycan, O. and Yildirim, A., 2015. An alternative approach to the effects of multiple traumas: complex post-traumatic stress disorder. NOROPSIKIYATRI ARSIVI-ARCHIVES OF NEUROPSYCHIATRY, 52(3), pp.312-314.
http://noropsikiyatriarsivi.com/sayilar/430/buyuk/18-An.pdf

chairmanmeow

I hear word that a serious look at CPTSD would reduce the DSM5 to nothing more then a pamphlet lol  ;D

Contessa

Haha, yes. Had that comment in the back of my mind when I saw the DSM5 in my T's bookshelf. Chuckleworthy  :)

Kizzie

Finally feels like we are getting somewhere!   :thumbup:   Tks Contessa, the more (articles) the merrier and the less we will be diagnosed and treated in a way that doesn't help or is actually damaging.

I just sat in on a webinar this morning about Trauma Informed Mindfulness and the practitioner was very well aware that those with CPTSD should not be approached in the same way as those with PTSD because of the layers of trauma.  Hallelujah!