Cognitive problems -- can anyone relate ?

Started by Boatsetsailrose, June 09, 2016, 08:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatsetsailrose

Contessa and arpy did you have v unpleasant time going on it ?
When I tried it I couldn't get past the initial symptoms of starting it -
With citalopram I had start up side effects but could tolerate them ( even though bad) but with sertraline I just couldn't tolerate the anxiety ....
I would be so over joyed to find a drug I could be OK on I mean citalopram does what it says on the tin but I truly don't think I can carry on this foggy

arpy1

no, i didn't have any problems going on sertraline; it was a really good drug for me and i had a brain when i was on it. just the physical side was not cope-able with, sadly.  i transitioned from citalopram to sertraline, so maybe that helped as they are similar to each other.

Sesame

Yes, I feel like I have slowly developed problems over the years, after having been removed from but still affected by the situation that caused this in the first place. Initially, my brain became so full of random ideas, thoughts and memories, it felt like my attention span shrank irreparably and it was impossible to think. I also couldn't help but get the feeling my brain slowly melted and dripped out of my ear. Clearly this is not the case, but I certainly do struggle with feeling like I've been out of the loop of learning for so long, I know next-to-nothing. Focus has definitely become a huge issue. I used to be able to focus on something so well I could spend all day doing one thing. Now? It really is a battle even if it's something I love! I am not on any medication or treatment, but am spending what little free time I have to read more about how the brain works and improving its functions. Maybe it will help. Either way, it's certainly an interesting read.

Contessa

Boatsetsailrose, it is difficult to say. I had had a major anxiety attack not long before the introduction of sertraline, so any possible symptoms at startup were essentially what I was experiencing anyway. Right now things appear to be fine though. Sorry that this isn't a clear answer to the question.

Sesame, hearing you loud and clear. Struggled a lot to complete tasks that were usually straight forward, but then took about five times longer to complete post-trauma. So exausting.

Danaus plexippus

I'm seeing my P Doc next week. I'll have to speak to him about this fatigue and med induced ADD. Maybe I can be prescribed slightly less Sertraline and still receive the desired effects.

Dee

I am new to OOTS and I was looking to know that I wasn't alone.  I don't know to laugh or cry at this conversation.  I take 20mg of Lexapro and 75? (one and a half) of Trazadone.  I honestly feel that Lexapro has saved my life (literally).  I started on 25mg of trazadone, then up to a whole pill, then up to one and a half.  I am not a big person but I need enough trazadone to knock out an elephant or I don't sleep.

I do get forgetful, I can't concentrate, and I am always on edge.  Sometimes it is hard to know what is because of CPTSD or the treatment for CPTSD.

Contessa

Hi Dee, you most certainly are not alone  :) I'm relatively new here as well.

Agreed, Lexapro (citalopram) was definitely a life saver, but over the long term a brain scrambler for me. Hopefully this helps you get one step closer to clarity as well.

Danaus plexippus

I was prescribed Lexapro 10 years ago, but I don't remember now if it was better or worse than the Sertraline I am prescribed now. There were other meds in-between then and now. Cymbalta was a freak show. I'm so glad I am off that now. Since getting myself off Neurontin I am beginning to feel less fatigued and not as forgetful as I was. It took year to find the right doc and it took years to find the right meds. Don't give up. A good doc will work with your specific combination of complications and eventually get your meds fine tuned specifically to you. I hope it's not discouraging to you that it took ten years before the mental hygiene industry finally got it right for me. You might luck out and get it just right sooner. I just had a constellation of crazy goin' on, but https://youtu.be/M8KdtJOCzOU 

Boatsetsailrose

Hi seseme
I have just started reading 'the body keeps the score a very interesting read about how trauma affects the Neuro and how healing can take place ... It gives me great hope

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Keeps-Score-Healing-Trauma/dp/0143127748

Boatsetsailrose

Dee
Quote 'it is hard to know what is  because of cptsd or the treatment for cptsd ' I so relate to this ! For now I won't know because of meds and before that I was in various addictions ...
I did have a window on being on nothing and it was so scarey my psychological state ..

Tewaz

Yes!
Oh my gosh this has been the hardest part for me.
In the beginning I had a lot of linguistic difficulties, couldn't understand what people were saying, even though I understood the individual words, couldn't form words, etc...
Now, after 2 years of treatment, most of that is over, provided I'm careful to take what I call "cave time."
What is killing me now is I still get brain fog bad, especially when I'm triggered. I'm only just getting back into the work force and it's affecting my job performance. It is so frustrating, never knowing when my heart will start racing, I'll start shaking, and that fog will move in and I'll start making mistakes at a job I should be able to do in my sleep.
If anyone has developed strategies for dealing with this, I would absolutely love to hear them!

Danaus plexippus

Last night I stayed up later than usual. Today the fog is back, thick as ever. When I get less than 6 hours sleep, the next day is a loss. Well disciplined sleep hygiene makes all the difference for me. That means getting up at the same time every day, even on the weekends and going to bed at the same time every night and no naps! Life happens while we're making other plans, but the more we stick to a regular sleep routine the less foggy we should be. You may need more or less sleep than I. Give it a shot, see if it helps.  :zzz: