Twitching and convulsions

Started by Chartery, June 22, 2016, 03:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chartery

At the height of my CPTSD I would twitch a lot whenever I had certain thoughts.  Most of these twitches were full body spasmic convulsions and some were just a sudden and very quick shake of the head or arm(s).  Since the worst of it where it might happen over a couple of dozen times a day I have had periods of weeks where nothing happens and I feel like I am on top of it.  currently, my situation is more difficult than it has been over the last several months and the twitching/spasms are remerging a couple of times a day.  These occurrences are usually when I have a shame based thought about something I cannot fulfill or something I should have done.  Has anyone had a similar experience and if so were you able to reach into the cause and ameliorate the response?

radical

I've only had spasms as a side-effect of medication.

Contessa

Interesting post Chartery. Haven't experienced long term twitching but a couple of months ago I did have quite an episode of severe anxiety, and at its height was shaking and going through the quick arm or head twitch at those thoughts. To others it probably looked like a 'someone was walking over my grave' twitch, but did not feel anything like it. Just took it as a physical response to the extreme stress. Didn't last longer than a week or so.

Very helpful explanation artemis23, thank you.

Danaus plexippus

Following the sudden and unexpected death of my husband, I began experiencing twitches or possibly tics that progressed into excruciatingly painful convulsive involuntary muscle contractions, intractable spasms and cramps that felt like my legs were being crushed in a car door. I was sleeping less than 2 hours out of every 24. I would come home from work lay down and pass out from exhaustion. Within 2 hours I would wake in screaming pain and try to walk it off. Every time I lay back down the pain would start up again. After 6 hours of this, it was time to go back to work. I received many conflicting diagnoses and recommendations. One doctor wanted to sever my vertebrae from C2 to T1, a surgery that would have taken over 12 hours and with my COPD and heart condition would probably have killed me. I was subjected to many neurological tortures including the dreaded EMG. If the Spanish Inquisition had the EMG, the whole world would be Catholic today. I sought eight second opinions and finally found a neurologist that prescribed Clonazepam/Klonopin 0.5 MG BID. It worked, immediately; I could finally sleep through the night again. After 5 year on the same dose, I'm becoming tolerant of Klonopin and the twitching has begun again. My current docs are reluctant to up the dose as it's addictive and harmful to the liver and kidneys especially taken long-term. I'm still not considering the surgery.

Cocobird

i have twitches and shakes when i feel threatened. Doesn't happen often anymore.