Is anyone else here a survivor of "conversion therapy" or similar environment?

Started by Tewaz, June 23, 2016, 04:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tewaz

Hello,
I was just curious if anyone else here is a survivor of "conversion," "reparative," or "ex-gay therapy," or who grew up in an anti-gay environment?
I find there is very little support for such situations, especially once you're an adult.
Feel free to comment regardless of background or experience, whether you fit the above category or not.
I think it would be interesting, and perhaps a bit healing to see commonalities and distinctions of trauma related to such an upbringing and other kinds of developmental trauma.

Three Roses

I have not been a victim of this horrendous excuse for "therapy". You said in another post that you would like to someday start a forum to support survivors of it, and I think that's a great idea! And I bet you'd be a great moderator - your enthusiasm shows thru.  ;)

mourningdove

Yikes. So sorry you were subjected to conversion therapy. :(

I second everything Three Roses said. I've not experienced anything like "conversion therapy," but I was raised in an anti-LGBT family and community, unfortunately, and sent to right-wing Christian schools.  :sadno:

Tewaz

Thank you so much for your responses!

Thank you Three Roses! Your warmth comes across loud and clear here on the forum, and I'm very glad you joined!

Thank you Mourningdove! I find that the conversion therapy was really just an extension of torture that started much earlier. Any time someone can convince a child that there is something fundamentally broken, ugly, unworthy, and repulsive about them, and convince them that it is within their own power to change it, and that changing it is necessary for them to truly be loved by their family or by God, that child will torture themselves worse than anyone else can, just trying to be "enough." When they, predictibly, do not change, it destroys them. Their own parents, their community, and every authority figure they've known destroys them.
I don't wish that environment on anybody. I'm so glad you survived and escaped. It takes a special and rare kind of courage to face the entirety of the world you've known and say, "No. This is not the world I want to live in." It's like chewing off a limb to escape a trap.
You deserve to be proud of that!