Bert's Journal

Started by Bert, September 21, 2023, 12:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Good morning my friends at OOTS,

I hope you've all been well. Again, it's been a little while since I've posted as things have generally been going well.

The main reason I wanted to write into my journal again is because I'm 3 days into my new role and I am sensing that I need some support to help me with getting myself back into work.

So far, I can't raise any "red flags" with my new job. I've been very much looking forward to getting myself back into work (and this time, in employment as part of a team rather than self employed all on my own). The people seem absolutely fine and I approach this with the mentality of not becoming overly emotionally invested into relationships, etc. To treat work as a means to earn a living and to stimulate myself.

I have joined this team to lead on one of the agency's larger clients. All seems well. It is a large account with many moving parts. And already I'm feeling some slight emotional disregulation as I am probably expecting myself to need to provide value from day 1... It's like I'm uncomfortable in not being able to help immediately (because i don't know anything yet!? Right...). I can feel myself, or should I say, my unreasonable self / critic, wanting to be a hero and to sort everyones troubles out - and that is translating into overwhelm and stress.

Basically... I need to be way more patient to myself and to try not to get disregulated too badly.

Any comments on this would be hugely appreciated.

Hope you're all well!

GoSlash27

Bert,
 Good morning!
 I can tell you from decades of personal experience: One of the most frustrating things I've dealt with as a worker is a manager/ supervisor who implements changes before they even know what's going on.This can crash an entire program and increase stress for everyone. People adapted to the existing mode of operation for a reason.
 The best managers always observed first. They asked questions, got a good feel for what the needs/ challenges were, and only *then* acted.

The best thing you can do for your team is also the best thing you can do for yourself: Resist the urge to jump in and save the day immediately. That's far more likely to do harm than good.

Best wishes,
-Slashy