Do people poke you?

Started by Dee, July 09, 2016, 01:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

I have always had an issue with my sister that when we are out and even sometimes at one of our homes she pokes me to get me to look at her.  I finally told her I don't like that and I asked why she does it.  She told me she feels that I go away, or zone out and she pokes me to bring me back.  I don't know, I hear everything she says.  The other day I was having breakfast with my lawyer who has become my friend and she did it.  I asked my sister to stop, she did for a little bit but is doing it again.  Now my friend is doing the same thing and she did it several times.  Why are people poking me??  Does anyone else experience this?

Three Roses

No one pokes me because I would poke them back. It's a boundary invasion, they're clearly not hearing you when you tell them not to do it. Maybe you should start carrying a large stick....

Rainydaze

Being poked is horrible, my NF always did it to me really hard so that it hurt. I don't think your sister realises how invasive and rude it is. Maybe try doing it to her yourself when she's silent to get your point across that it's not nice.

Danaus plexippus

A friend took me to the opera and kept poking me and reading the translations out to me. I told him to stop. When it continued on the second date, I became disagreeable and we never dated again. Some people are just pokers I guess and I chose  not to be their pokee.

SweetFreedom

Quote from: Danaus plexippus on July 11, 2016, 05:24:39 PM
Some people are just pokers I guess and I chose  not to be their pokee.

Lol. Yup. Tell 'em to quit it. If they keep doing it, poke em back until they get the point!

sanmagic7

i've known pokers, nudgers, arm slappers, elbowers, even neck massagers!  when i'm with a good friend, we can do that kind of thing as an inside joke to each other.  the rest of them are just irritating, and very definitely disregarding personal space and boundaries.  i've told people that if they do it again, i'm not going to stand or sit near them, and have followed through with that.  they got the point.  my husband has a habit of patting me on the knee when he's talking and we're in the car.  i put my hand over his and press down until it stops.  it's so annoying!