Being judged for not being 'normal'

Started by Rainydaze, July 08, 2016, 02:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainydaze

Does anyone else feel like they're judged really harshly sometimes for having had a horrible childhood? When I had my breakdown last winter my own mother in law who I thought might show some compassion after having anxiety herself and her own difficult mother seemed to instead completely distance herself from me. I've since learnt that rather than asking me personally about the difficulties I've had with my father she chose to ask my sister in law behind my back at a barbecue we hosted, as though it was a juicy piece of gossip. It really angers me that as soon as you're not happy or bubbly when in another person's company they just run away as though they're going to catch something, yet they still want the insider info on what's going wrong in your life.

I really feel like I've been judged harshly for not having a good relationship with my father too, even though I endured so much pain and terror when I lived alone with him. Why is it always the abused that end up being the ones who people think should fix everything?! It really drives me crazy.  :fallingbricks:

Sorry no real point to this message other than to rant! Does anyone else relate?

sweetsixty

Hi Blues,

To be honest I don't know the answer to this as it took me years to confide in anyone and even now there are very few people that know my background. Even on here I can be quite reticent to share. I'm sure others will come on here and share their experiences.

The only thing I can relate too is having something wrong that people can't see. I have MS and have had it a long time but unless you saw me struggling in a relapse you wouldn't know the was anything wrong. I've lost a lot of friends and even some family can't cope with it. Especially as sometimes I have to cancel at the last minute because I'm ill or just too damn tired.

My guess is though that in this case it's your Mother in law, in line with many  of the last generation still struggle terribly with mental health. I find my youngest children understand  it more than my peers or elders.

Just my twopence worth but there are a lot of people like her around. Just chalk it up to experience and next time share with someone you know who will at least show some sympathy.
In the meantime take a  :hug:, it's miserable feeling 'different', believe me with arthritis, MS, IBS and CPTSD I know.

Three Roses

Yes, blues cruise, I can relate. Lots of "you shouldn't"s and "don't feel so"s from friends and family. Sometimes I think it's ignorance, sometimes I think it's guilt or helplessness from not being able to "fix" me.

Hang in there!

Danaus plexippus

I've gone no contact with my bat $hi+ crazy mother-in-law. We have that right!

Contessa

Yes I can blues cruise, although its from my FOO. When things get bad i'm left well alone, and they talk about me amongst themselves - and i'm not sure who else - until I pull myself out of the slump.

Actually they did this while the traumas were happening. So needless to say I have very little contact with them as a result. They are the main reason for my anger, more so than the traumas.

Jdog

It's funny, but I just realized that I have been NC from most members of my FOO for so long that I have avoided the entire situation of having to explain my progress and healing and never even had to address feeling less-than-normal with them.  With friends, I only ever have talked about therapy or my struggles with one or two.  The one I share most with (and even then hardly ever) is a trained therapist herself who happens to be a school counselor at my school.  So no, I don't think sharing our struggles is particularly a good idea.  I also have several other "hidden" disabilities such as psoriasis and IBS.  People understand those much more than Cptsd.

Rainydaze

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's sad to think that other people struggle with this too but also a comfort to know that there are those out there who understand.  :hug:

To be honest it's not like I even expect too much support from the monster in law, it would just be nice to not feel like I'm a complete social pariah in her presence. I seem to just get a weird stare from her whenever I try to make an effort as though she can't make me out.  :stars: I don't think she's particularly self aware herself so probably doesn't bother trying to figure out why someone else's personality would completely change from happy and content to blatantly troubled.

Quote from: Sweetsixty on July 08, 2016, 03:23:46 PM
Hi Blues,

To be honest I don't know the answer to this as it took me years to confide in anyone and even now there are very few people that know my background. Even on here I can be quite reticent to share. I'm sure others will come on here and share their experiences.

The only thing I can relate too is having something wrong that people can't see. I have MS and have had it a long time but unless you saw me struggling in a relapse you wouldn't know the was anything wrong. I've lost a lot of friends and even some family can't cope with it. Especially as sometimes I have to cancel at the last minute because I'm ill or just too damn tired.

My guess is though that in this case it's your Mother in law, in line with many  of the last generation still struggle terribly with mental health. I find my youngest children understand  it more than my peers or elders.

Just my twopence worth but there are a lot of people like her around. Just chalk it up to experience and next time share with someone you know who will at least show some sympathy.
In the meantime take a  :hug:, it's miserable feeling 'different', believe me with arthritis, MS, IBS and CPTSD I know.

Thank you Sweetsixty.  :hug: Sounds like you have a lot to silently cope with, to have CPTSD on top of your physical illnesses must be hard. I think you're right that it's probably a generation thing, mental health awareness seems to increasingly be on the radar these days thankfully. For instance, I admire Prince William and Kate for using their status to spread greater awareness. Hopefully there will be far less stigma against talking about psychological problems for future generations.

sweetsixty

Glad to input just a small piece blues!

As my T puts it the only good thing about having an on going chronic neurological illness is that I have access to a clinical psychologist on the NHS here in the UK, which not many have here lol.

;D

no_more_fear

Yeah, I can totally relate. My father told me that "I must have taken it the wrong way," when my mother told me at 10 years old that my father was going to kill me. I mean, how on earth can a 10 year old critically think about a statement like that!?  :stars: It goes without saying that I'm NC with them and the rest of my FOO.

Rainydaze

Quote from: Sweetsixty on July 10, 2016, 08:17:04 AM
Glad to input just a small piece blues!

As my T puts it the only good thing about having an on going chronic neurological illness is that I have access to a clinical psychologist on the NHS here in the UK, which not many have here lol.

;D

Hehe, good, it must help!  :)

Quote from: no_more_fear on July 12, 2016, 07:09:05 PM
Yeah, I can totally relate. My father told me that "I must have taken it the wrong way," when my mother told me at 10 years old that my father was going to kill me. I mean, how on earth can a 10 year old critically think about a statement like that!?  :stars: It goes without saying that I'm NC with them and the rest of my FOO.

No 10 year old should have threats like that against them, in fact no adult should either! They sound disgusting. Good for you for being NC.  :hug:

Danaus plexippus

My mother used to say "I bought you into this world and I can take you out." whenever I did or said anything she didn't like and she backed it up one night by waking me up with a gun to my head.

Three Roses

That's horrible that you had to go thru that, Danaus  :hug:

gongfy

I made the unfortunate mistake of revealing only some of my childhood to coworkers - because it pertained to my job.  I am in a helping profession and it helped me to be better at what I do.  Big Mistake!  It has been like loading a gun so people can turn it around and point it at me.  I have had superiors use it to excuse inappropriate behavior, e.g. "You just have issues so you aren't viewing this accurately."  I have also had colleagues whisper and gossip, making inappropriate comments.  Nope.  Wish I hadn't done that and won't do it again.  I already had trust issues and this only made it worse.

Danaus plexippus

As I need to take excessive amounts of sick leave to remain in the Zadroga 9/11 health program, I've had to explain to my managers that I was enrolled. When I worked in NYC it was no problem. Almost everyone in my office was there that day. When I got transferred to NJ, BIG PROBLEM. This one manager (that I no longer have) put me on leave with no pay, even though I always supplied him with a letter of explanation from my doctor's office. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I have a decent manager now, thank God. I hope she lasts till I'm able to retire.

doodle22

Yes, I too deal with this, and am disabled (eyes/brain). Recently FOO issues came up, and although  difficult I had to see a lawyer. I tried to explain my situation briefly being N/C and my disability issues. I am fiercely independant, as asking for any help seems to bring up the past for me (weak, not good enough, etc, etc) so advocating for myself is a big deal. The lawyer thing did not go well. There are those in the world who are judgemental and insensitive even when you are paying them...ugghh! It tears down self esteem, and trust issues, I can relate, and although your responses help me feel less alone, I am sorry for what you all have dealt with.  I am trying to regain some strength, but I know one thing, I will seek out and screen lawyers better in the future, even though I thought I had already. Support to you all!