Is anyone else here a vegetarian?

Started by Danaus plexippus, July 08, 2016, 02:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danaus plexippus

My friend came over and helped me get my air conditioners in the windows: see "Disappointing a Friend." He said he would have to come back with some extra stuff to make the window mounts safer and asked if I would cook him a fish dinner. I asked if he would accept a vegetarian dinner instead. He said adding fish back into his diet has improved his health and mood. Am I being illogical in not wanting humans to eat animals in my kitchen, when I feed meat to my cats every day?

Dee

It's your kitchen you do what you want.

I do not want people to hug me, yet I hug my kids every day.  Does that seem illogical?  Sometimes we have to get out of our head.  I'm working on that, we can rationalize everything and when we do we end up unhappy.

Danaus plexippus

Sesame

I'm not a vegetarian, but I agree that it's your kitchen. Your cats need to eat meat to survive, whereas nothing horrible will happen to your friend if he doesn't get to eat fish in your kitchen that one time. It's not like one meal without fish is going to destroy his health and make him depressed.

Danaus plexippus

Thanks. Sometimes I need to ask myself "Why am I doing this?" I need to check I'm not stuck on auto-please mode.

mourningdove

I think that he showed a lack of respect for your boundaries and it was rude for him to persist in asking for fish. I am a vegetarian and have fed the cat of someone I house sat for, but I wouldn't have cooked anyone a fish dinner (even in someone else's kitchen). So no, I don't think it's illogical not to want to cook fish for this guy in your vegetarian kitchen.

Danaus plexippus

Thanks for reminding me of the sacredness of my kitchen.

caroline

Was veggie for around 10 years and now vegan for about a year and a half - you shouldn't have to make something like that in your kitchen!  Totally agree with what i've read above!  Your cat needs to eat meat - your friend doesn't need it in the same way.  It is YOUR KITCHEN!  Keep it for what you want in it.  Your friend will survive a night/day without fish/meat!!  Good luck, hope it all goes well - I know conflict can be difficult, even if you are in the right x

SweetFreedom

Hey, new member here...

"Am I being illogical..."?

I would say in a cheeky-friendly way that yes, there is a certain amount of logical inconsistency here ;)

but..

As Caroline said, IT'S YOUR KITCHEN :) If your heart says no meat, then no meat it is ;) I don't think that all choices need to be made logically to be valid, important, and to make sense in terms of our values. Honor Yourself, trust your heart, and don't over-extend past your boundaries unless it feels right to you to do so

Danaus plexippus

Thanks for that. I could choose to expand beyond the bounds of logic and what better place than in my own kitchen.