Newly diagnosed

Started by Albnsc2012, July 09, 2016, 02:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albnsc2012

Just diagnosed at 48yo. Have always had problems with depression and anxiety. I guess now I know why. A therapist mentioned it a few years ago. January I became really depressed and PCP tried for months to treat me but nothing was working. Have seeing a licensed social worker. Thus past Thursday saw a psychiatrist to help with meds and he asked questions and that was that. Being diagnosed with PTSD had knocked the wind out of my sails to say the least.
Molested by mother,her boyfriend and boy in neighborhood. Mother maybe has/had a personality disorder. In NC with mother and sister. I am the o!der but treated like the youngest. Was also bullied a lot and my sister helped with that. I was looked down upon for not doing drugs,not drinking and not being promiscuous. I was ignored and treated badly because of them. They got all the attention. I am thinking my abuse was worse than I thought. Some things I can't remember.
I am feeling very scared and just in shock. I have to keep working while dealing with this.

Three Roses

Welcome! Yes, it's a shock isn't it? After the shock wore off, I started researching ptsd, and came across c-ptsd which fit me to a T. For the first time in my life (I was 56), I had answers. It felt so good!

We have moved since then and now I'm 59 and haven't been back to a therapist but I think I need to.

You'll find lots of useful info on the Resources tab, and there's a new book that is fantastic called "The Body Keeps The Score" by Bessel Van Der Kolk.

Welcome to the forum!  :wave:

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome to OOTS !    :heythere:   It really is a huge shock isn't it? Many of us find it's also a relief in a strange way, that we finally have a name for what has been happening to us, and to find that there are many others (unfortunately) with whom we can share our experiences back and forth, give and receive support and encouragement, and just be open for maybe the first time in our lives. Scary and exciting all rolled into one. 

I didn't find out I have CPTSD until my mid-50's and the same holds true for many of us, mainly because it's a relatively new diagnosis (first showed up in 1992 but takes years to trickle out to the mental health sector and then down to survivors).  I am hopeful that the more this does become known, the younger people will be when they put the pieces together and start to recover.

So, you're in very good company here in terms of age right now, lots of us older folks to talk with so again welcome, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.   :hug: