Compulsive itching triggered by anxiety

Started by sunshineofmylife, July 13, 2016, 07:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshineofmylife

Hey guys,
so ever since I have gotten off of my medication and moved in with my long term boyfriend I have been experiencing compulsive itching whenever I begin to feel anxious. I'm sure it is due to all the changes in my life right now (i am extremely triggered by change)and the lack of numbing medication. It has gotten to the point where I have multiple spots on my body with scars/scabs from this itching. I really don't want to get back on medication, because this is virtually the only bad thing i am experiencing from being off medication, but this compulsion is quite unsightly and unhealthy. Any tips or people who can relate?

Three Roses

Hello and welcome!

I do get a bit itchy sometimes. It's usually a reminder I've been neglecting to hydrate myself. When it's really bad I can put a little hydrocortisone cream on the spot and that stops the itching; otherwise it gets raw.

We're glad you're here :)

Dee

I think this would be considered the same as when I have cut in the past.  It becomes a habit that you have to make a plan to break.  Instead of scratching, rub ice on yourself.  Or my personal favorites is to wear bracelets that you can take off and play with.  I wear two, to represent my kids, what is really important.  I think this would be harder to break because you can do it in front of other and not realize that you are doing it.  Be mindful, have a plan, and if you break the moment the urge will go away.  Then you can start to break the habit.  Anything to distract yourself and keep your hands busy.

movementforthebetter

I experience something similar but never thought of it until a few days after I read your post. In anxious times, in particular work, conversations, and therapy, I get an itchy scalp or occasionally chest or neck.

I am aware of my more noticeable skin picks on my arms and back when anxious and passing it off as scratching. I have a skin condition that can make the itching much worse, too. I have to be diligent with hygeine to manage this. Exfoliation and moistureization is key for me. Also trying to be consious of the sensations and urges in themselves helps.