Friends - or lack thereof

Started by gongfy, July 18, 2016, 04:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alliematt

Gongfy, I have a teenager with autism.  It's helped us that we've been involved in our church, but the people I know from there, I don't see very often away from church services (with the exception of a ladies' group I'm with weekly).  So I can partly understand where you're coming from.

Angelica

Re: Friends - or lack thereof

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »

Thanks for the insight. That's something to take into consideration. I want so badly to get out of the city and settle into some nice quiet bucolic local. Your revelations have me reevaluating my conceptions of the rural life.

Report to moderator    Logged

Stay strong and pay close attention.

Hi, I'm still a bit reactive being in this group or site, I live in the mountains and many days I don't even see or talk to another person for a few days.  Sometimes it doesn't phase me and other times I feel incredible pain.  The other night I went out to dinner with some people I  have called my friends for many years, I over ate, and then was so tired to begin with, and on the way home they cornered me saying, don't  you remember any thing good about your childhood and then I went off.  Reaizing later, it would have been best for them to not ask such a question to set me up.  I feel like people in my circle really don't care if I am successful.   Maybe like some of you posted I am too much of a perfectionist,  I let a lot go with these friends but I feel like I just want to make new friends and sluff off these like dead skin.  every time I'm around them I have reactional episodes afterwords, so , with boundary issues and isolating and lack of a vehicle and not earning a living wage, It seems I am stuck too.  I want to just sell my place and move, but where and can I deal with peop;le in a city?  I am so used to the natural world and animals in nature are like my sanctuary.  I had a dream the other night    I am sitting on this slop watching a very fat sea otter with its cub, the pair almost looked like sea lions and she the mama circled about, I made calling sounds like she did to her young, as I do often when I encounter wildlife here in nature.  when Iooked over the clifside, I notice she came up fast upon me and I kissed her on the head , we were both surprised and she went back down into the water, but I senced she was going to come after me.  she had turned from a grey fat sea otter to a white seal and the land below me was snow icey cliff and I was in a panic to using my nails to claw my way away from her,  bit by bit I did and landed on a sandy beach. 
pondering selling my shack and moving to a city so that I might have something of the rest of my life.  Isolating  myself here not sure is conducive to making new friends, but I do extend my had to fellow survivors to be my friend. 

Three Roses

I live in a rural area too. We do have neighbors but their house is several hundred feet away and they are at work all day. Sometimes days or weeks go by without me seeing a single person other than my husband and son who also live here. And, of course, my dog. :)

I would not be able to tolerate living in a city again. I've always wanted to live in a more rural area, maybe not totally isolated but at least someplace where people are not pressing in on me from every direction.

I do play some online games, MMO RPG, and that satisfies my need for interaction. Phone calls with friends help, too. Skype is wonderful - you can talk to someone and see them on your screen!